Finding home architects that specialize in energy efficient homes?

Hi, I am looking into energy efficient homes, trying to absorb as much as possible about the various technologies out there but am a bit overwhelmed. I have "interviewed" a few local (NC) architects and

*I* seem to know more about the technologies (not necessarily cutting edge either) than they do (not encouraging).

Is there a way to find architects (like maybe an association of home architects) that specialize in this field?

Any help here would be *really* appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Reply to
gaikokujinkyofusho

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Interesting, I'm lookin at this now, might be of some use to you:

A few from my Favorites list:

the link at the top called "+140 categories" has additional links

Google: sustainable architecture, green architecture, and the like.

HTH!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

This might also be intereesting to you. Even tho' the site is about one particular house, there are diagrams, links, ideas, and other bits of info you might find informative:

HTH -

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You've got to shop around. But you have an advantage over the usual consumer: information. Make a list of questions that can only be answered by architects that are energy savvy. Phone interview them until you find 2 or 3 that are interested in energy efficiency (they're the ones that are savvy, otherwise they wouldn't care and wouldn't know). You find an architect just like you find a contractor: interview until you find a good fit (reputation, price, and personality). The best way is by referral. See if there have been any awards given for energy efficient homes and see who designed them. Call the companies who make the products and ask who specs their stuff and who buys it. Ask your local building inspector if any EE homes have been built in the area and get the name of the owners. Research and legwork. Can't beat it.

Reply to
BP

I think there is a certification in Environmental design...LEEDS or something, that you could ask about. Not sure if it is much better than Microsoft certification, but it might point you to architects who think about that sort of thing. Course I could be wrong about this, anyone else care to chime in?

Reply to
Night_Seer

If you manage to choose a technology or product line first, that manufacturer may be able to give local installer references but if you are unsure what you want and need help evaluating choices, you are on the right track. Try some of those "find a contractor" websites and see if they come up with someone.

Reply to
PipeDown

i read a book years ago called "solar heating & cooling". it was a compilation of patents published to show ideas. i browsed it to generally get ideas. ~ 25 years ago.

so downstream a few years i see a home that happens to have very good passive solar elements. so i bought it & added solar electric to help the house a little bit.

passive elements - in southern califfornia - work very well so solar electric can be used for the basics.

if the house doesn't really GET hot, you don't need AC so much.

the house runs east-west with oversize roof eves. in the summer we have about 3 to 4 foot of shade all around the house. in the winter, with the lower sun angle, we get solar heat.

plaster walls & ceiling help keep the home at a semi-steady state temperature. generally cool, toward ground temperature.

open the windows at night, cool down the house. close them in the morning, use good insulation. oposite in the winter.

to help your question, try searching for this solar heating & cooling book, online or in a library. or key words like passive & active solar.

you'll just need to do a long search in your area for architects that know anything about solar - passive ideas as well as active ideas.

see ya

steve

Reply to
steve

Design your house yourself, I did. I was also the prime contractor, never did it before or since but it worked OK.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Try the green building council in your area. They typically have great references for Architects that participate and can help you with technologies, builder selections and cost.

Reply to
jojo

here's some links for review:

home design plan links:

see ya

steve

Reply to
steve

Wow! I wanted to thank y'all for all your help!

All this information will take a while to digest but really helped me get on the right track.

Cheers

-Gaiko

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
gaikokujinkyofusho

Reply to
Mike R.

I've discovered that most products don't really work quite as advertised.

I've discovered that many of the ideas work in a very narrow climate band. Some things just don't work at all in central Minnesota.

I've discovered that the cost is often greater than people want to pay.

I've discovered that the most people aren't willing to live with the design implications.

I've discovered that Realtors look down on the stuff and that they claim its terrible for "resale."

I have tried to get clients to go that direction and have all but abandoned my efforts.

I'd love to have a client that was truly interested in it...and understood the implications.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I've found that the pay back is often not there........what is the sense of spending boat loads of money when the pay back is 50 years?

I've found that passive design is far more practical than all the "gadgets"

Reply to
P. Fritz

My architect friend has no trouble getting the clients interested. However, he's so picky and uncompromising that _you'd_ likely not be willing to live within his income limitations :-)

We (Solar Nova Scotia) will, hopefully, be having a realtor talking at a seminar in a couple of weeks who specializes in solar (passive & active) homes. Should be interesting.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

That is my point ;-)

Reply to
P. Fritz

Here's something...

Check out the "Progress Journal". The most current posts are at the top, but for real entertainment, start at the beginning.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I realize that this approach, as it stands today, can be quite expensive. Especially when talking about the gadget aspect. Don't you think its feasible that this will change in the future? I don't think the current expense alone makes this approach invalid, just out of reach for most. Maybe we should just be a little patient with it. The consumer affordability aspect will eventually catch up in the long run. IMHO.

Reply to
Cato

I'm not so sure... Solar has been "just around the corner" for 30+ years with little significant change in net cost to the consumer. Residential Fuel Cells have been "just around the corner" for at least

10 years (I tried to get on a test program with little success -- "they're not ready yet" I've been told for 7 years). Almost every technology hyped in the past 2 decades has failed to actually make meaningful inroads.

When you look at other technologies and their advancement in the same time period, it's clear that either there is something vastly conspiratorial going on OR nobody has figured it out because it's not nearly as simple as we would want to believe it should be. Heck...a guy from MIT has been working on synthetic photosynthesis for 20+ years with very little success (the idea being if plants can do it, why can't we?).

In the long term, we're all dead.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I do agree with you about the pace of the development. Maybe its a case of lack of importance/income generated or maybe some technologies are just being "held" back by more established, competing industries. Combination of both? I'm not talking about conspiracy theories, just good old trying to maintain your market share. Kind of reminds me of the development of more fuel efficient/alternate fuel vehicles. sssssssllloooooowwwwwww.

My answer: The Illuminati are behind it.

Well, there you go spoiling my day. Now I need to get out and shoot some golfballs into the woods to clear my head.(see your other thread other) ;-)

Reply to
Cato