Energy efficient homes to apy less council tax?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jul/08/energyefficiency-energy
Roll on I say! Brilliant idea.
On 04/08/2013 08:27, harryagain wrote:

You keep telling us that fuel costs will keep rising so everyone will want, indeed be forced, to super-insulate. Add a tax onto energy inefficiency and they will not be able afford neither sufficient energy nor to improve insulation.
Then add in how this could be assessed fairly?
Crackpot idea. No wonder you are hailing it.
--
Rod

On 04/08/2013 08:34, polygonum wrote:

Did you read any of the comments?
"These 'green fascists' as you refer to them are not environmentalists. The UK-GBC is a charity (and it is charity calling it a charity) founded by a consortium of banks and building trades organisations in Britain."
"So the fuel poor homes would be taxed more. Makes a lot of sense. Pour it on the poor and the middle classes. Wonderful idea!
And how many homes are rented instead of purchased? Many - perhaps 1/2? And those renters, whilst not responsible for the energy ratings of their homes and in no position to pay for modifications, are nevertheless responsible for paying the council taxes. Yes, brilliant idea."
Obviously not reading beyond the headline...
--
Rod

On Sunday, 4 August 2013 08:39:48 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

Yep same old story you'#d think they'd tax peole more for using more power in homes with heated swimming pools or large statley type home's with original features.
Best thing top do would be to charge more for people that use more, but that might affect the rich and we can;t hgave them paying more can we.

Yep, all those 60/70s tower blocks.

polygonum wrote:

It's just another way to sell an EPC to people who aren't selling their house.

I can see the arguments against it, but I continue to believe that we should get a Council Tax rebate for not paving over the lawn, having trees etc.
I reckon 1% per tree, 0.5% for a hedge and so on.
A genuine green incentive, and it would save our family a fortune..
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

What's the justification to lower your council tax costs for something that doesn't lower the council's costs? A bit of a rebate on drainage rates for not contributing to rapid run-off ... maybe.

Oh, come on, have you no soul? Is life just about money?
If I tidied up a bit, I'd help provide a green and pleasant land.
I'm also helping to provide the air that they breathe while capturing tons of carbon. And the wind doesn't have to blow for it to work.
--
Bill

Well we'd have to charge you schedule A tax on that notional work you've done, though. That OK?
--
Tim

Bill wrote:

life isn't but certainly tax is. The more spurious discounts dished out, the higher the tax is for everyone else.

Temporarily, until someone chops it down and burns it.
On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:55:17 +0100, Bill wrote:

Or for not having street lights, nearest one to here is a mile and half a way, street/verge cleaning, gully clearing, litter bins in town, traffic wardens, etc
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 08:54:30 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Ah, the joys of the EPC.
Energy Wild Guesstimate, more bloody like.
On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 08:34:16 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Quite give (reduction in council tax) with one hand take (high interest rates on the Green Deal loan) with the other.
HMG seem to be very good at generating these "poverty trap" schemes. Last financial year our *household* income went a few hundred quid above the NHS Tax Credit Exemption limit. We are both on 4 weekly prescriptions which we will now have to pay for at 13 x 2 x 7.85 £204.10. The prescription pre-payment isn't any use as you have need at least 14 prescriptions/year and is based on each *individuals* prescription requirement *not* the households.
And the slightly higher earnings will reduce/eliminate Child/Working Tax Credits as well. Essentially I work more, earn more but see no overall increase in my standard of living, if anything it gets worse. No incentive to get out there and find work at all.
If they want this scheme to work or the Green Deal they need to show that people will have money in their pockets now. I'm not surprised that the Green Deal hasn't been taken up. Any, not guaranteed, savings are taken straight back by paying off the loan. Then there is the uncertainty of the effect a GD loan on a property will have on it's sale value.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Get a better illness or more illnesses? I woud have put:-) but it seemed inappropriate.
--
Adam

On 04/08/2013 13:32, ARW wrote:

Number of illnesses doesn't help.
The right illness does - or getting sufficiently older. Or relocating to Scotland/Wales.
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

What illness could be worse than relocating to Wales?
--
Adam

I lived there for 20 yrs. It was OK apart from the rain. Houses much cheaper.
They were far ahead of the English in the field of energy saving. Ten or fifteen years I would say.
On 04/08/2013 14:25, harryagain wrote:

Two nuclear power stations for what, two or three million people? that was a real contribution to maintaining our energy supply.
--
Rod

Come home to a real fire, buy a holiday home in Wales.

Some would say "relocating to Scotland" !
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m