Energy Efficient Pool Pump

what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links, for example, this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

1 1/2 H.P. Motor $119 Heavy Duty $139 Energy Efficient $169

as you can see, the energy efficient model is $50 more than the regular model

I also looked at this page

where it appears they have a "Capacitor Start", meaning (?) it reduces the LRA or power surge at startup?

if anyone has replaced a standard Sta-Rite inground pump with one of these, please tell, what did you find and was there a difference in power consumption and did all your filters & pool cleaners continue to run normal?

there appears to be also incentive programs for installing a two-speed pool pump? anyone done this? how did the program work? can you purchase a qualifying pump over the web and install it yourself and still qualify?

Reply to
Jack

They are usually just a pump with a better power factor. You don't think about it since they tend to be water cooled but a lot of heat energy gets transferred to the water.

Reply to
gfretwell

[...]

A contradiction.

Somebody who owns a pool cannot, by definition, be energy efficiency devotee. It would be similar, in concept, to an SUV owner who refused to run the car's A/C or insisting on a diet drink at the donut shop.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hee, hee. That's funny.

What about solar collector for heating the pool, and pv to dc circulating pump?

Would that fix the contradiction?

Reply to