More in-ground pool pump woes

My motor went out on my Sta-Rite pump so I bought a new one at Warehouse Pool Supplies (WPS):

They put a new seal and heat sink in and it leaked so I took it out and they put in another seal and it leaked too. I'm getting tired of taking the pump/motor out so I called:
to come out and replace the seal but they haven't done it yet.

Now it's not leaking! It stopped leaking after about 10 minutes of pumping.

Does anyone know what is going on with this seal? Is it possible it set on it's own?

This is a step by step instruction guide:

(seal replacement starts on page

2)

I noticed it doesn't say anything about using silicone sealant on the seal and WPS used silicone around the heat sink and the seal.

TIA

olddog

Reply to
retired53

In case there is any doubt it is the motor shaft seal that was leaking.

Reply to
retired53

I always just replace the whole thing, as the motor replacement alone costs so much. Also, by the time the motor goes out, the rest of the pump is probably about shot as well. Actually I got two free Hayward pumps from a relative that used to use them for her lobster store in NYC, where they ran 24/7 so she always had spares. When she closed the store she gave me the pumps. I'm on the second one now. The motors never went out, but the pump part did fail catastrophically (plastic casting where the filter basket goes in cracked).

Reply to
SMS

Since multiple seals are leaking on a new motor, I would suspect that something other than the seal is wrong, like the motor shaft is not perfectly straight, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Since multiple seals are leaking on a new motor, I would suspect that something other than the seal is wrong, like the motor shaft is not perfectly straight, etc.

I just checked it and it's still not leaking. (About 18 hrs of operation) It must of had something to do with the silicone. I was talking to the guy at Crystal Clear and he said it sounds like too much silicone around the seal. Weird.

Reply to
retired53

When I replaced a seal on mine, I don't recall any instructions to use any kind of silicone. What did you do with it, and why?

Reply to
Bob F

I didn't do anything with the seal. Warehouse Pool Supply put the seal in and the guy at Crystal Clear speculated that it may have been too much.

I knoticed the web site said he uses Permatex.. Next time I'm doing it myself. It's my first pool.

Reply to
retired53

When its time for a new pump get rid of that offbrand Star-Brite crap and get a real pump. A Hayward. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba