Pool pump leaking

My swimming pool pump is leaking at the shaft seal. I wonder how hard it is to replace the seal. I am trying to avoid disconnecting the pump to take it to a shop.

I know it is easy to open the pump body and expose the impeller. I remember vaguely how somebody did it some ten years ago to replace a worn out brass impeller. The pump is a brass unit.

Would the seal be normally on the inside of the pump, behind the impeller? If so, how do you remove the impeller? Once the impeller out, would it be a matter of just removing the old seal and sliding in the new one tapping carefully? Any need for silicone grease or the like?

If my imagination/memory fails me, how is it done? Or is this something better to be left to an expert?

Reply to
tony

Don, thank you for the instructions. It seems is almost easier to replace the seal than to disconnect/reconnect the motor...

I am pretty sure the pump I have is the one at the url:

I guess the seal assembly are the three parts marked under the "8". From what you are saying I don't need to detach the pump from the motor, just remove the volute and impeller, and replace the seal. Does the seal go in dry with no grease or lubricant?

T> Depends on the pump...First find out what pump you have and go buy the

Reply to
tony

Sometimes the motor is not connected to the base. it sets in a cradle.. the electrical should be on a flex connection. unbolt the bolts on the back of the pump casing "number 5 in the picture" the volute stays in place. "it is piped in and you do not want to take this loose". Slide the motor back and the impeller will come off with the motor. if there is no bolt/screw in the center of the impeller the thing may be threaded on the motor shaft in which case it could be left handed threads "probably has a bolt/screw. you will need gasket "7" and seal kit "8" the seal should NOT be lubricated if it is ceramic face "most likely". Avoid getting anything on the ceramic discsincluding your fingers "oils". make sure you place them in ceramic to ceramic, that is where the seal comes in. One will be stationary and the other will rotate with the impeller. make sure you put it back just the way it came out. Not a hard job so take your time and make dam sure it goes back the way it came out!!!! First one I ever did I put the rubber to ceramic and there was smoke very shortly:) that is the biggest trick. Good luck Don

Reply to
Lucero

The pumps I know do so. Think about it. No grease is going to last with all that rotation and water pumping around. Grease is slightly soluble in water; with enough water it will wash away.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch