OT. VAT on carriage

If an item is advertised as £22.40 incl. VAT. £18.67 excl. Carriage £4.95.

Would you then expect to be charged £28.34 i.e. VAT also being applied to carriage?

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Cap

It wouldn't surprise me.

There are circumstances where carriage is VATable, yes. I forget the exact details, but if it's being re-charged and part of a VATable supply, or something.

Reply to
Adrian

This of any use?

Richard

Yes thanks. It says that apart from when using the Royal Mail, VAT is liable at the same rate as the goods. That then begs the question, should the carriage be advertised like the goods, as excl. of VAT?

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reminds me of that Vistaprint TV ad for business cards. 100 for ?4.99 but after postage and VAT it's 10 or 12 quid.

Reply to
brass monkey

those are the rules, yes

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Simple answer mostly if they are vat registered. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff