Subject Author Posted Replies

Heavy duty garden shredders / chippers
Recommendations please... I am getting fed up with my aged Bosch "quiet" shredder (this is the older design with a rotating helix / worm drive cutter). Its very good if you want to shred the stuff...
20
20

Shower Valve
I currently have a Mira 415 Pressure Balancing (not thermostatic) shower valve fed from a combi. Planning a bathroom make-over. Would a pair of mixer taps with a diverter control be suitable or is...
1
1

Replacement bath tap
I need to replace a bath mixer tap which has a shower attachment. This particular one come in three parts. There are two "tails" bolted to the bath, with the main tap bolted to these. The two tails...
5
5

Sealing outdoor teak furniture.
There seems to be a difference of opinion as to how best to finish off a new outdoor teak table. Opinion 1: As per Wikipedia: Teak is sufficiently oily and weather resistant not to need oiling or...
5
5

Wots with
These posts that seemingly follow on from something presumably from some other post with not a clue about we all supposed to be psychic?
9
9

Road planings under concrete
Is anyone aware of possible issues? Thread elsewhere. I have some, put down 20 years ago. Compacted, covered with dpm and 6" of mesh reinforced concrete. Odour? Chemical reaction? EU waste directive?...
5
5

If there's one thing that turns my stomach, it's cat poo on the lawn before mowing
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it. It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch...
100
100

OT Them leaflets, further rumour.
There is a rumour afoot that to add insult, those eagerly awaited leaflets were printed in Germany. Can anybody verify this?
9
9

9 inch angle grinder- direction of rotation
Hi. I have an el cheapo 9 inch angle grinder that I bought years ago. The b rand is Kinzo and it has a reversible handle (i.e. the handle rotates about the long axis of the machine, to give left...
6
6

Multi function detector (2023 Update)
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air....
24
24

Bore a hole in topsoil using standard drill? Auger bit?
Hello all, I have two fence posts to set and being a lazy sort I'd rather like to bore the hole with some kind of power tool. A bit of searching has turned up "earth augers" which seem to be large...
28
28

Nice PAT test fail
I was not PAT testing but I did spot this today whilst doing an EICR I was interested as it was powering this which had a brass lampholder (needs an earth). And for the grand finale of fuck ups (the...
65
65

Failure Mode of Plastic
The type of plastic often used to wrap cheese intrigues me - it is a devil to start a tear but once a tear is started ot goes all over the place with no effort. What is going on with the material...
6
6

OT David Mackay dies
As pre-figured in this newsgroup Professor Sir David Mackay has died. He was probably best known as the author of Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot air: although he also had an distinguished...
5
5

SECUROGLIDE roller garage door replacement magnet?
I've managed to break off and lose the lower magnet on my roller door. When closing it now takes many short stages to close the door. Replacement magnets seem very hard to find, even on eBay - anyone...
3
3