Subject Author Posted Replies

? re external painting and wood rot
History: Bought house 5 years ago external paintwork in poor condition, flaking etc. Checked for any rot and only one small area. This was at a mitre joint the piece of wood that sits on the concrete...
3
3

OT: New roofbox for the car
Before xmas I wrecked the old roofbox (not locked, strong sidewind = lots of noise and broken box with the lid almost ripped off). Need to get another one though. Any recommendations (or otherwise)...

Cooling a satellite decoder or similar
In fact, and a sewing machine should do nicely. Cheers Dave R
9
9

Headlamp Lens (plastic fogging)
I have read of ways of polishing headlamp lenses that have become a bit frosted, but is there a way of reducing the risk? Does polish help - or could the solvents in a polish make it more likely to...
8
8

Particles in mains water supply
I get particles in my water supply. They are orange or black generally. The y do not appear to be affected by a magnet. We are filtering our drinking w ater until we can sort it out and using bottled...
17
17

Murphy's 43rd law
If you're carrying a large sheet of wood etc from A to B, you will always find yourself on the wrong side of it when you want to prop it against a wall.
7
7

EON EnviR electricity monitor software
Back in the day I was sent an energy monitor by EON - Model EnviR from Current Cost Ltd. Due to some kind of filing error I can't currently (oops!) find the original software, although I do have a W7...
6
6

Shower pump - appears to have air ingress
I fitted a Showermate Standard Twin to replace an old pump that had failed. The new pump had been purchased some five years earlier and not used. The pump sits at the end of the bath on the floor and...
26
26

Grumble, grumble - E12 lamp sockets
We have a set of out door lights - a string of (12V * 20) E12 lights in series giving 240V and running off mains electric. No transformer required. Having just tested the bulbs of an out door light...
10
10

Hotpoint, Indesit or Creda dryer mods
Just had an email from Hotpoint about when our "house incinerator" vented dryer is going to get modified: Feb 2017. They also offered: "... as a goodwill gesture, we are able to offer you a brand new...
21
21

How old are your apprentices?
To settle an argument in our (wider) household How old are "traditional" trade apprentices when you take them on? Member of family (she who is *never* wrong, supported by clutch of offspring) was...
27
27

car dash cams
Hello, Last year I met a traffic warden for the first time! The short version of events is that I took my children to the park and when we returned to the car, the traffic warden was issuing a penalty...
37
37

lagging pipes: what to lag?
Hello, I am about to lift some floorboards and do some plumbing. I am unsure about whether to lag the pipes or not. It seems to me that central heating pipes will be circulating hot water for hours...
15
15

TOT Sub prime mortgages
Why have the Halifax started advertising that they are giving sub prime mortgages for property in the USA? Haven't they learnt any lessons from the near past? Get the latest news, exclusives, sport,...
10
10

OT: Any furniture recommendations?
Maybe a silly question, but I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a furniture store. We can't afford top quality :-), but would also like something that will still be comfortable after a few...
26
26