OT: Any furniture recommendations?

Maybe a silly question, but I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a furniture store. We can't afford top quality :-), but would also like something that will still be comfortable after a few years. I'm a bit wary of just going to, say, DFS, but perhaps I'm being unfair. Is there such a thing as a nationwide furniture seller that makes reasonable stuff, or do we really have to go around all the small local shops? Google isn't helping, since apparently /everyone/ makes top quality stuff (according to their own websites, of course).
Only Me wrote:

Without being racist, which of course I'm not. Avoid any Asian outfits. My wife bought a 3 piece suite from the Asians for ?1k. It was fucked 5 years later. The chest of drawers she got from some Asian outfit is looking past it's best after 7 years. As a contractor I've seen Asians using a hair drier on "leather" furniture.

Not surprising with a couple of lard arses sitting on it 24/7.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

The "leather" started to split. This was not good enough for us, but would have been quite acceptable to some piss poor spark living on a scum council estate in Yorkshire. Have you ever thought of growing a pair and buying your own house?

Which bit of "I own my own house outright and I have had no mortgage since I was 30 years old " do you not understand?
Is your wife really as fat as you?
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

So, you actually bought that council house????!!!! Please tell us that you did not buy that shithole. I've watched the videos that you posted here. Shithole. Stupid is as stupid does. My wife is not fat, neither am I. I have something that a pikey such as yourself will never have. A wife, a nice home and money in the bank.
On 24/04/16 20:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I have found one of the three is possible,m but not all three together.
Well; done!
too dark to read.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I found it easy.

Explains a great deal.
--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The mistake is to keep the money in the bank, if you delegate correctly, the correct wife will spend all her time counting it and you can exist in peace!
On Saturday, 23 April 2016 18:10:26 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire scrote:

Is this while you were still wearing it?
On 23/04/2016 17:29, Only Me wrote:

I've been pleased with Harveys.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 23/04/2016 17:29, Only Me wrote:

There's a moderately famous Swedish brand :-)
On 23/04/2016 18:33, Clive George wrote:

IKEA flat pack is the mutts nuts,
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 23/04/2016 17:29, Only Me wrote:

Look for a G plan retailer and see what else they sell.
On 23/04/2016 20:44, dennis@home wrote:

German company 'Himolla'make good stuff, but not cheap. Their 'zero stress' chair is far better than the Norwegian 'StressLess' that some people rave about.
On Saturday, 23 April 2016 17:29:41 UTC+1, Only Me wrote:

No experience, and not nationwide in the showrooms sense, but Thomas Lloyd / SofaSofa claim to make all their own stuff in the UK (in Wales, actually, look you) for 35 years. 2 year / 5 year frame guarantees.
Owain

I'd second that. Have a pair of leather Chesterfields which have lasted well - especially given the reasonable price.
--
*Money isn?t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

On 23/04/2016 17:29, Only Me wrote:

You really need to see what you are buying. Much of it is made abroad. I could suggest a shop near Bangor.
--
Michael Chare

Some of the bigger department stores seem to be able to source things from smaller outfits, I went to Bentalls to source a replacement for the DFS one and they even made it with detachable arms for easy ingress into difficult houses. It all depends what you call reasonable, price wise, and often its onlafter living with it for some time that the problems crop up as I mentioned earlier about DFS. Might well have just been a bad batch of springs, but I bet they do source things as cheaply as they can, and some things must slip through that you would hopefully not get from a good well known department trying to protect their reputation. Brian
--
----- -