OT: Any furniture recommendations?

Maybe a silly question, but I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a furniture store. We can't afford top quality :-), but would also like something that will still be comfortable after a few years. I'm a bit wary of just going to, say, DFS, but perhaps I'm being unfair. Is there such a thing as a nationwide furniture seller that makes reasonable stuff, or do we really have to go around all the small local shops? Google isn't helping, since apparently /everyone/ makes top quality stuff (according to their own websites, of course).

Reply to
Only Me

Without being racist, which of course I'm not. Avoid any Asian outfits. My wife bought a 3 piece suite from the Asians for ?1k. It was f***ed 5 years later. The chest of drawers she got from some Asian outfit is looking past it's best after 7 years. As a contractor I've seen Asians using a hair drier on "leather" furniture.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Not surprising with a couple of lard arses sitting on it 24/7.

Reply to
ARW

I've been pleased with Harveys.

Reply to
David Lang

There's a moderately famous Swedish brand :-)

Reply to
Clive George

The "leather" started to split. This was not good enough for us, but would have been quite acceptable to some piss poor spark living on a scum council estate in Yorkshire. Have you ever thought of growing a pair and buying your own house?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Look for a G plan retailer and see what else they sell.

Reply to
dennis

No experience, and not nationwide in the showrooms sense, but Thomas Lloyd / SofaSofa claim to make all their own stuff in the UK (in Wales, actually, look you) for 35 years. 2 year / 5 year frame guarantees.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

IKEA flat pack is the mutts nuts,

Reply to
David Lang

Which bit of "I own my own house outright and I have had no mortgage since I was 30 years old " do you not understand?

Is your wife really as fat as you?

Reply to
ARW

You really need to see what you are buying. Much of it is made abroad. I could suggest a shop near Bangor.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Forget about modern stuff; it's s**te. Buy something solid from say the

1930s and just get it reupholstered locally. It'll outlast you.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The one thing I found that let DFS down are the quality of their zig zag springs. Their actual build quality and service was fine, but I think we must have replaced all the spings in under five years, whereas some never seem to break. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some of the bigger department stores seem to be able to source things from smaller outfits, I went to Bentalls to source a replacement for the DFS one and they even made it with detachable arms for easy ingress into difficult houses. It all depends what you call reasonable, price wise, and often its onlafter living with it for some time that the problems crop up as I mentioned earlier about DFS. Might well have just been a bad batch of springs, but I bet they do source things as cheaply as they can, and some things must slip through that you would hopefully not get from a good well known department trying to protect their reputation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

To be honest, the DFS leather sofa I'm sitting on has been pretty good, I can't remember when we bought it, but but it's at least 14 years ago and it still looks OK and is pretty comfortable.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'd second that. Have a pair of leather Chesterfields which have lasted well - especially given the reasonable price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

German company 'Himolla'make good stuff, but not cheap. Their 'zero stress' chair is far better than the Norwegian 'StressLess' that some people rave about.

Reply to
Andrew

The cheap furniture is shit. Looks awful after a year. The foam permanently deforms and the covers look scruffy. Better to go second hand and get some quality stuff. It can be really cheap, especially if there's a minor damage you can fix yourself.

Reply to
harry

So, you actually bought that council house????!!!! Please tell us that you did not buy that shithole. I've watched the videos that you posted here. Shithole. Stupid is as stupid does. My wife is not fat, neither am I. I have something that a pikey such as yourself will never have. A wife, a nice home and money in the bank.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have found one of the three is possible,m but not all three together.

Well; done!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher