Any recommendations for good quality furniture glides?

Downsizing to a small apartment, I'm trying to accommodate my large TV. I'd like to leave it standing on top of a low wide sideboard, but for viewing purposes the sideboard will need to be pulled out at an angle, then pushed back in place after use.

The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone with experience can recommend suitable ones. My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a bit juddery at times.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

TV too large for placing on a Lazy Susan?

Reply to
Richard

Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket, fixed to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've been pleased with my brackets too.

Reply to
newshound

It might reduce friction but the TV would hit the wall before it could come to the required angle.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I had my previous TV on a similar heavy duty bracket. This method wouldn't let me get enough rotation. I'm also a bit concerned about the suitability of the wall for such purposes. If the bracket would extend far enough to allow the TV to rotate to where it's required, there would be a lot of leverage on the wall fixings.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I really enjoyed having my last TV on a bracket.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If it's a concrete block/brick wall then the brackets come with fixings that do the job. If it's timber/studwall /insulating blocks then modifications have to be made but still possible.

Reply to
harry

Whatever you do though you end up with tram lines in the carpet pile or excessive wear. I tried this with a speaker and soon stopped doing it, you are right castors, even the double width ones are juddery and often make it impossible to get back to exactly the same spot as well. What you need is a hovercraft!!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this some kind of modified rabbit hutch?

I guess the ceilings ar too low to use pulleys to raise it up or bring the bottom up to tilt it? I have seen that done, but it does cause issues for the wiring! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The TV is 55" measured diagonally. It will need to be pulled out almost at right angles to the wall. The bracket would have to extend a long way to provide the rotation needed, without the inner side of the TV jamming on the wall.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Fortunately I'm on the Isle of Wight so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It hasn't been significantly modified yet.

Yes, I did think about pivoting it from the ceiling but I have a wife who's a little more of a traditionalist than I am.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Have you not considered making your own bracket. Two metal frames with a vertical hinge at one end, the front frame designed to match the fixing holes on the TV the rear frame fastened to the wall swing it out like a door. Easily available MS tubing would do the job and if you cannot weld the brackets then pop rivets can be used to join up the steel sections. A lot of brackets on the market are frankly over engineered more to assure the user of their safety than function. Most TVs are quite light our 55" is a fraction of the weight of the 40" it replaced yet the bracket holding it to the wall had eight substantial bolts yet the whole thing combined probably weighs the same as a kitchen wall cupboard filled with can goods secured by only two fixings.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky has brought this to us :

It hardly seems worth the effort of DIYing a bracket, for the sake of sub £18 ready made. This is the one I bought and suggests it is good for up to 60" and 45Kg. Though in part of the description, it suggests up to 70" screen.

It does need good solid fixings onto a suitable wall. I used 6mm expanding bolts (Rawlbolts) for the top three fixings, taking the weight, then large plugs and screws for the lower fixings.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I really appreciate all the inspired ideas but has anyone got any recommendations for good quality furniture glides?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Can't recommend, but I would try these if I were trying to do what you are:

Richard

Thanks Richard, I've seen these and similar on Amazon but I'm getting a bit wary of Amazon reviews, so was hoping for some first hand experiences. Still, they're inexpensive, so I'll do a trial run.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

On a recent episode of the C5 gadget show, they were at a consumer electronics expo and looked at a TV that unrolled and rose up vertically, a bit like and old fashioned portable screen for film projection.

Perhaps the OP actually needs a smaller tv ???

Reply to
Andrew

You can buy adhesive felt pads in lots of DIY stores. Ditto those castor wheel cups that also have a felt pad in contact with the floor.

Reply to
Andrew