Any recommendations for good quality furniture glides?

Downsizing to a small apartment, I'm trying to accommodate my large TV. I'd like to leave it standing on top of a low wide sideboard, but for viewing purposes the sideboard will need to be pulled out at an angle, then pushed back in place after use.
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone with experience can recommend suitable ones. My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a bit juddery at times.
--

Mike

On 03/07/2019 15:14, Mike Halmarack wrote:

TV too large for placing on a Lazy Susan?
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 20:45:35 +0100, Richard

It might reduce friction but the TV would hit the wall before it could come to the required angle.
--

Mike

Is this some kind of modified rabbit hutch?
I guess the ceilings ar too low to use pulleys to raise it up or bring the bottom up to tilt it? I have seen that done, but it does cause issues for the wiring! Brian
--
----- --
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 07:43:21 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Yes, I did think about pivoting it from the ceiling but I have a wife who's a little more of a traditionalist than I am.
--

Mike

Have you not considered making your own bracket. Two metal frames with a ve rtical hinge at one end, the front frame designed to match the fixing holes on the TV the rear frame fastened to the wall swing it out like a door. Ea sily available MS tubing would do the job and if you cannot weld the bracke ts then pop rivets can be used to join up the steel sections. A lot of brac kets on the market are frankly over engineered more to assure the user of t heir safety than function. Most TVs are quite light our 55" is a fraction o f the weight of the 40" it replaced yet the bracket holding it to the wall had eight substantial bolts yet the whole thing combined probably weighs th e same as a kitchen wall cupboard filled with can goods secured by only two fixings.
Richard
Tricky Dicky has brought this to us :

It hardly seems worth the effort of DIYing a bracket, for the sake of sub £18 ready made. This is the one I bought and suggests it is good for up to 60" and 45Kg. Though in part of the description, it suggests up to 70" screen.
It does need good solid fixings onto a suitable wall. I used 6mm expanding bolts (Rawlbolts) for the top three fixings, taking the weight, then large plugs and screws for the lower fixings.
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 02:08:20 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky

I really appreciate all the inspired ideas but has anyone got any recommendations for good quality furniture glides?
--

Mike

On 04/07/2019 20:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Can't recommend, but I would try these if I were trying to do what you are: (Amazon.com product link shortened)62269265&sr=1-17
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 20:42:51 +0100, Richard

Thanks Richard, I've seen these and similar on Amazon but I'm getting a bit wary of Amazon reviews, so was hoping for some first hand experiences. Still, they're inexpensive, so I'll do a trial run.
--

Mike

On 04/07/2019 20:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:

You can buy adhesive felt pads in lots of DIY stores. Ditto those castor wheel cups that also have a felt pad in contact with the floor.
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 13:24:43 +0100, Andrew

I've ordered some screw on pads now. they're not particularly expensive, so if they don't do the job well enough, no great loss.
--

Mike

On a recent episode of the C5 gadget show, they were at a consumer electronics expo and looked at a TV that unrolled and rose up vertically, a bit like and old fashioned portable screen for film projection.
Perhaps the OP actually needs a smaller tv ???
On 04/07/2019 07:43, Brian Gaff wrote:

Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket, fixed to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.
On 03/07/2019 20:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've been pleased with my brackets too.
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:35:39 +0100, newshound

I really enjoyed having my last TV on a bracket.
--

Mike

On 04/07/2019 06:38, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It's some time since Hinge and Bracket were on tv though ..
On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 20:47:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

I had my previous TV on a similar heavy duty bracket. This method wouldn't let me get enough rotation. I'm also a bit concerned about the suitability of the wall for such purposes. If the bracket would extend far enough to allow the TV to rotate to where it's required, there would be a lot of leverage on the wall fixings.
--

Mike

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 06:37:03 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:

If it's a concrete block/brick wall then the brackets come with fixings that do the job. If it's timber/studwall /insulating blocks then modifications have to be made but still possible.
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 23:20:26 -0700 (PDT), harry

The TV is 55" measured diagonally. It will need to be pulled out almost at right angles to the wall. The bracket would have to extend a long way to provide the rotation needed, without the inner side of the TV jamming on the wall.
--

Mike