Wolf power tools - any good?

I need a new circular saw and prefer to buy cheaper but often for the type of work I do.

Screwfix have a brand called Wolf, 160mm for only £25 with a two year guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makro are doing a 180mm NuTool for the same money, also with 2 year guarantee and I have had good experience with that brand, but little things like painted steel rather than stainless steel footplate (which the Wolf appears to have) make it look cheaper.

Thanks for any advice, Rob

Reply to
Kalico

I'm still using a Wolf hammer drill my father bought over 25 years ago, it's had a lot of heavy use and is still OK. He bought various Wolf tools over the years because of good previous experience. They used to be relatively expensive so if they're cheap now maybe the spec's changed.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Thanks for that Andy. I tend to think that the guarantee alone is worth it at this price level, but there is nothing like personal recommendation.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Wolf were quality products. They were taken over by Atlas Copco I think. The name has now re-emerged. It must be good as the previous brand had a "quality" image, so anyone with sense would still keep it that way.

Reply to
IMM

I'd say *only* the name hasn't changed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Have a google search on the ng - I think that the subject of Wolf tools came up a couple of months ago.

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate guidance.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

That's why I wondered about the low prices. The drill cost around £70 in the seventies which is probably something like £300 now so there must be some differences in quality.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

I believe that to be the case. Most 25 year old electrical tools knock the spots off what you can find today anyway, irrespective of brand...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My DeWalt radial arm saw and DeWalt bandsaw must be getting to that sort of age now. Both have shown outstanding reliability throughout and I would part with neither in favour of a modern day equivalent.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of the parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days, computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now last for an example.

And, of course, they're now made using low cost far east labour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One has good build control, the other....

Reply to
NJF

Fantastic engines. The Integra Type-R must be one of the most exhilerating cars I have ever driven (test drive only, am afraid. got married, then it was Volvo estate time...)

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One has good build control, the other....

Reply to
NJF

Agreed, had a ride round Brands in one, and the tacho spent pretty much all its time between 8000 and 9000 rpm.

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

exhilerating

Try a Suzuki GSXR motorbike for high rev fun - their engines happily run to

13500 rpm before the redline, and sweet all the way up to it too. Rob
Reply to
Kalico

..has a crap design.

Reply to
IMM

The Rover K series engine was such a good design in its day, Ford tried to buy Rover to get hold of it. And was stopped by the government.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not so good these days is it?

PoP

Nothing wrong with the design. Poor quality control is a different matter. There were design problems with the early V-6 variants, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Just got rid of a 1.4 K-series 214 with 186,000 on the clock. Only major engine failure was a water pump. Never even changed gaskets...

...and I know a few people with 1.6Ks in Caterham Lotus 7s... ok, ok, they've been rebuilt a bit :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove