Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

"We don't need no stinking aprons."
http://www.core77.com/posts/59321/How-Ikeas-New-Joinery-is-Advancing-Their-Design
Spalted Walt wrote:

I have a hunch the former style will have a Much longer lifetime. I've repaired/maintained a few tables, and I think the new design is (1) Not as strong and (2) More difficult to repair. I suspect that the "mortise" is the weak spot---partcularly if it's cut in particle board. By the way, don't underlook "duct tape" as a possible repair medium--assuming no one looks under your tables. PDAMHIKT.
On 1/11/2017 3:39 PM, Bill wrote:

The linked article (http://www.core77.com/posts/27726/ikeas-new-tool-less-connectors-and-a-potential-end-to-particle-board-27726 ) shows that the design is move away from particle board, using solid wood frames in a torsion box construction. The "wavy" mortise & tenon would never hold up in particle board.
Larry Kraus wrote:

I'm not sure that most of the parties involved really want it to hold up for a long time...otherwise, you woodn't need to replace it...
On 01/11/2017 02:39 PM, Bill wrote:

It's not intended to be. Engineering is about design for an intended purpose. These tables are intended to be inexpensive to buy and replace, rarely to fix. They are not heirlooms. For many people, they're the first piece of new "furniture" they buy on their way up the economic food chain.
FWIW, I also buy the occasional tool at HF if I don't need to use it in heavy duty or continuous application...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

*Whose* intended purpose (in this case)? ; )

On 1/11/2017 11:33 PM, Bill wrote:

Manufacturing.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:06:28 +0000

cheap crappy usable
choose two and it seems people are happy with cheap and usable
because they keep buying it
will there be a trend back to well made furnishings or will the masses just not care
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:43:29 -0800, Electric Comet

Need a box for the 3D printer I'm building. Using an $8 IKEA end/side table as the structure and will add hinged plexiglas sides (for access & visibility). Basically, I'm making a cube with no bottom. I get precut and finished pieces that create a (mostly) square frame that's the correct size - and for less than the lumber and paint would cost. Durabililty? Unless I drop the table, it should survive well. The only weight on the table will be the filament spools (about 1kg each). Cheap? Yes. Ugly? Probably. OK for sitting on the workbench? Definitely.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:43:29 -0800, Electric Comet

I don't much care for IKEA furniture (I have one drawer unit that our printer sits on) but they're a great source for butcher block slabs. Put an apron on it and they make a rather nice table. ;-)

I figure the later.
My ex taught me about antiques.
Costly? Yes. Worth it? Yes.
Anecdote: Went to the closest Ikea to see what all the hub-bub was. Found early CFL light-bulbs for 1/3rd what HD was charging. Then, after going thru their "maze", was dumped at the gardening/return section, jes before the exit door. Got to see all the returned junk and why it had been returned. Scary!
I quit shopping at Ikea. ;)
nb
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 9:04:32 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

Even if their light bulbs were 1/3 what HD was charging? Why not just go there for the stuff that you would buy - but pay more for - someplace else?
I buy lots of consumables (vinyl/nitrile gloves, zip-ties, etc.) at Harbor Freight because they are cheaper there than anywhere else. All it takes is a little discipline to avoid buying the stuff that sucks.
On 1/12/2017 8:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Discipline or a sense of smell. If it does not smell right is it not right. ;~)

Actually, I did. I came back (with a friend) and purchased a hanging kitchen rack. Again, 1/3rd of what everone else was charging.
OTOH, I looked at a Captain's bed for my daughter. You know, a single bed with under bed storage drawers? I looked closely. All fiberboard! Jes like Levitz! Nevermind. ;)
nb
On 1/12/2017 9:24 AM, notbob wrote:

I will say this about that type furniture. It is good and lasts a long time as long as you never move it after assembly.

True enough.
I hadda huge fiberboard bookcase. You know, the kind with the lead slug inserts, in which to attach the fasteners. Lasted forever ....until I moved. It disintergrated upon disassembly and I tossed it in the dumpster.
nb
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 10:50:46 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

My daughter bought one of those flat-pack WallyWorld book cases for her dorm room. I assembled it and stood it against wall when she first moved in.
2 years later she got an off-campus apartment. Now, I'm pretty good at packing my trailer to keep the contents safe. God knows I've done it enough times. We loaded everything in, strapped it all down and off we went.
I drove 3 miles to her apartment, opened the trailer, took out the pieces of the busted up book case and put them by the dumpster. It sure doesn't take stress much to blow those fasteners right out of the fiber board. A few bumps and it was toast.
On 1/12/2017 4:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The stuff does not like to be wiggled. If you live in a trailer park and move your trailer to a new lovely park, your furniture will not survive. LOL

I would have disassembled it for transport, myself.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 8:43:23 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Feel free, but not me.
Since disassembly requires reassembly, had I know it was going to fall apart I would have left it in the dorm room and spent the $28 it would have cost for a new one, all boxed up nice and neat and easy to carry. Which, BTW, I ended up doing anyway.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/21997602
Easier transport, no disassembly effort (think about the cardboard back with the 400 tiny nails holding it on), time saved, etc. If you've ever moved a college student out of dorm room at the end of a semester, you know that the last thing you want to do is waste time taking apart a cheap bookcase, packing it all up, carrying the pieces out and in, etc. No thanks! Not for $28.