car dash cams

Hello,
Last year I met a traffic warden for the first time! The short version of events is that I took my children to the park and when we returned to the car, the traffic warden was issuing a penalty saying that our pay and display had expired.
For months the council did not dispute that I met the traffic warden, now they are doing a U-turn and are saying that he has no recollection of meeting me and made no notes in his notebook about meeting me, therefore, they conclude that I am lying about ever meeting the traffic warden.
I have referred the case to the parking adjudicator and I have given the adjudicator a description of the traffic warden but I wish I had taken a picture of him. I never thought he would lie about meeting me!
I am hoping not to meet another parking warden but I wondered about these dash cams. I know they are sold for filming your driving in case there is an accident, but are any sold that will film whilst you are parked?
Not only would it have helped me in this instance by proving I met and spoke to the traffic warden, but it could help if someone hit your car with a trolley in a supermarket car park, or reversed into you in a car park, or crashed into you whilst you parked in the street, etc.
I would think a camera would be more useful filming when you were not in the car than when you were. If anything having a gps-enabled camera recording your speed could incriminate rather than help you!
My only concern is, are these cameras stealable? If you left one in your car, would someone break a window to take it?
What makes and models do you recommend that work when the car is stationary?
Thanks, Stephen.
Stephen wrote:

All those that I've seen only start taking pictures when parked if they detect an impact. Even that can raise concerns about battery usage. Recording all the time would be even more of a drain, and to make matters worse the section you're interested in might well be overwritten before you had a chance to keep it, unless you have an infeasibly large amount of storage.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
On 24/04/2016 10:43, Mike Barnes wrote:

and unless you have a multi camera continual system, there is little chance you will be in shot. A body worn cam could be handy for such a situation. In the case mentioned though, if the ticket had expired, what defence do you have?
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:43:43 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Once they've started that's it, it's issued no argument. You have to contest the legality of the issue, incorrect/missing signage, have valid P&D ticket that was displayed, etc

Had it? If so by how long. There used to be a "grace" period of 5 mins(?) were the warden had to stand near the car before they could start to issue the ticket. Does that still exist?
And of course you have the P&D ticket with the expiry date/time and the penalty notice will have at least the date/time of it's issue and probably date/time of the P&D and serial number of the P&D ticket it has been issued against. They should all agree/be in the right chonological order.

Some can be configured to do that or for a period after the igntion is switched off.

not

Really needs to be complete all round coverage not just front view and to be admissable as evidence I'd expect it to have to comply with rules/regulations that cover CCTV. Security of media, security of media storage, resolution of images, etc

Only if you habitually break the speed limit...

in

It has been known.

Unless wired to some where that is permenantly live it'll have to have it's own battery. In a modern car many places that were permenant live aren't any more. Even the interior light in mine is switched off about 10 mins after the ignition and I don't mean with the interior light in "auto" I mean in "on".

en

32 GB card in my cheapy (<£20) holds about 24 hours of VGA resolution. It's a cheapy "HD" but I don't think the sensor is "HD" all that happens for 720p and 1080p is the aspect ratio changes and is upscaled. In the process of checking if the 720p/1080p recordings do offer a better visual resolution than the VGA mode.
If I bought one now it would need WiFi so I don't have to take it out of the car to view/save/archive files it would also have to have a full HD or better sensor.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Thank you, that's useful to know. 24 hours should be more than enough recording time and my cigar lighter socket it always on.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:43:43 +0100, Mike Barnes

yes the kits available , you will need at least 4 cameras preferably 6 , sound recording and storage your looking around £1500 fully fitted minimum and yes the it can be stolen.

Be cheaper and less hassle to just pay the parking fine. ;-)
--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

on

,
on

e!

se

nd

ar

ra

hey

ten

ge

ed

Considering I bought a single one for 10, that price is ridiculous.
-- The British government is going to impose a 40% tax on Aspirin. "Why" you ask? Well, primarily because it's white and it works.

Even the cheap ones have the option for ignition, motion, or continuous.

Bullshit. The camera uses about 2W. Even a small car battery can run 2W for 16 days, 24 hours a day.

In the case of the OP, he'd only need an hour.
--
Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a land called Britain where sensible folk lived. These people used to laugh at their
American "cousins" for all the petty litigation they pursued in an attempt to get compensation for preceived injuries and

Some do, essentially to capture the footage of someone running into your parked car, but those normally only keep the last x minutes and save that when the car gets a significant impact so they don't have to keep hours of footage in case you come back to your car and find someone has run into it.

Indeed.

Not as far as evidence of who is at fault is concerned. You are more likely to have an accident when in the car.

Yeah, I hardly ever drive within the speed limit.

Of course they are. But it is certainly possible to conceal them so they can still capture what you need but aren't obvious to criminals who want to steal them.

Yep, the worst of the crims certainly do that.

On 24/04/2016 09:35, Stephen wrote:

I'm struggling to understand how proving that you 'met' a traffic warden would affect whether or not a penalty notice was valid.
But, to answer your question . . .
A dashcam *can* record when the car is parked, provided it is supplied with continuous power. [Mine is wired through the ignition, so only works when that is turned on].
Most dashcams have g-sensors which are used to determine what and when they record. If you wanted to record when parked, the usual way to set one up would be to tell it *only* to record when it detected an impact of some sort, rather than continuously. [They actually run all the time, but only store the footage when told to do so - so if a recording is triggered by an impact, they'll actually capture a bit of footage prior to the impact - otherwise it would be of little use].
They can only record what's in their field of view, of course - which is usually the view looking out through the windscreen - so if anything happens at the rear or side of the car, they won't see it.
In summary, it's very unlikely that a dashcam would have helped you in your parking dispute.
--
Cheers,
Roger

I downloaded a manual for a nextbase camera but it seemed to recommend switching to motion detection when parked but switching motion detection off when driving. Do you find that to be the case? I was hoping to have something I could "set and forget", rather than have to toggle each time I start/stop.

Perhaps he took her/him for a romantic dinner, and ended up having casual sex. Damnit, you'd be annoyed too if the ticket wasn't cancelled.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Roger Mills wrote:

My dash cam is set to record continuously if 12V is present. With a 4G memory chip and 720p picture, I would guess the recording time as a few hours before being overwritten. I've not measured the current consumption.

We were standing by the offside wing, so I think that it would have photographed us.

But what use is a photo of you being booked ?
That would only be useful if they deny that a particular parking goon with a record of lying about the situation had denied that he was the one who booked you etc.

Sorry for the late reply. This is exactly what happened.

Surely it all hinges round whether you had overstayed the time you'd paid for?
--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

It does seem odd that it is taking months to sort out.
Every ticket I have contested is sorted within a few weeks.
--
Adam