Bore a hole in topsoil using standard drill? Auger bit?

Hello all,
I have two fence posts to set and being a lazy sort I'd rather like to bore the hole with some kind of power tool.
A bit of searching has turned up "earth augers" which seem to be large two-handed bit-turning thingys, does anything similar exist for a normal drill? Perhaps the same shape and size as a plaster mixing paddle?
Thanks Jon
On 16/04/16 18:13, Jon Parker wrote:

no chance. Yiu need massive torque and slow RPM
MY advice is to either drive the posts in or simply settled down with a flask of coffee and a trowel. Took me about an hour each for two 8x8 gateposts...
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 6:17:09 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ah come now, where's the fun in that?
Something like this maybe?
Father-in-law has a very big drill so power/torque should not be an issue.
JP
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 6:28:40 PM UTC+1, Jon Parker wrote:

Whoops, forgot link:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 16/04/2016 18:29, Jon Parker wrote:

I watched 2 guys digging post holes the other day to repair a fence blown down at Easter. The used the tool listed above to remove the loosened 'earth' clay and builders rubble but losened it first using something like Screwfix 62496 - oost hole digger working to a depth of 2-3ft.
Malcolm
On 16/04/2016 22:06, Malcolm Race wrote:

Last one I did was with a masonry drill (longest one I could find). Then the longest cold chisel I could find. At least your hole doesn't end up way too big

I have used those to drill holes which are later lined with poly pipe and used to measure soil moisture by running a neutron moisture meter down the hole on the end of an electric cable, but you need a hell of a lot more than a big power drill to use them.
We used a much bigger two man petrol engine thing to drive it. Much more horse power than any electric drill. And that was only about 4" diam drill, nothing like big enough for a post hole.
You do get much bigger post hole diggers but they are normally driving by a tractor with a 3 point linkage.
We also used a much bigger truck mounted system, used to drill water wells.
On 16/04/16 18:28, Jon Parker wrote:

Holding onto it will be
Its the physical ability to actually stop the thing winding up
Thats why you need two long bars in the hand tool version. To get the leverage
And, even that is marginal in sticky wet clay.

Josef Stalin

Borrow a Shov-Holer.
--
Tim Lamb

They wouldn't work on sticky wet clay anyway as the stuff will stick again as soon as the auger has gone in and it will take a winch to get it out.
On 16/04/2016 18:28, Jon Parker wrote:

It will be.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 16/04/16 20:20, David Lang wrote:

:-)
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 8:43:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

Nice!
JP

Do you mean the angle grinder has finally met its match?
You can hire powered augers, but it needs two people to operate it but like all augers if you have particularly Stoney subsoil it is useless.
Richard
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 6:30:11 PM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Hmm. Yes when you get about 8-9 inches down it suddenly gets very hard.
Oo-er.
Perhaps I will just dig the bastards out. Pah!
JP
Correction, Speedy hire have one that looks like a one man operation.
Richard
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 10:33:10 -0700 (PDT), Jon Parker wrote:

In slightly clayey and somewhat stony soil, with some holes that had to be close to size due to being near a bank, I used a 5' crowbar to loosen the soil then a decent post-hole tool - something like http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Post-Hole-Digger-1480mm/p/190347
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 4/16/2016 6:17 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I *normally* put round fence posts up to 4 inches in with a post thumper (metal cylinder with two handles, closed at one end). I just put in a 6 inch square post for a 9 foot gate, about two feet deep, using a manual auger, around £25 from Amazon, plus postcrete. Took about half an hour.
A lot depends on your ground condition, and *whether it is a fence post or a gate post*.
You need to be doing a lot to justify even renting a powered auger.