Nice PAT test fail

I was not PAT testing but I did spot this today whilst doing an EICR
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PATC1.jpg
I was interested as it was powering this
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PATC2.jpg
which had a brass lampholder (needs an earth).
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PATC3.jpg
And for the grand finale of fuck ups (the picture says it all) we have
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PATC4.jpg
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

Darwin test when lampholder is earthed to "neutral"?

I would hazard a guess that it may pass through the odd testing regime. :-)
Was on an MOD site some years back and if you replace the connector with a bit of 5A chockstrip, the only difference was the style of lamp and the "do not use after" label on the plug.
The cable ran into a cupboard and out the other side!
The company that tests our stuff now are so much better. Earth bond tests at 1kV according to the paperwork.
AB
Well how to write a post that is totally unusable. Thanks a lot. Why not just write what it was and what happened? Brian
--
----- -
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/7/7c/HTH.jpg

On Sunday, 17 April 2016 10:03:46 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

ALT text for Brian: hand making rude gesture with single finger.
Owain

Oddly, I found it perfectly usable.

Because that would take a lot longer and sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
I think you're being a bit, no, a *lot* unrealistic if you're expecting all USENET users to post in a visually impaired friendly manner.
Tim
On 17/04/16 19:53, Tim+ wrote:

If you're not blind.
Brian is.

Well, there is that - OTOH, there's no harm in a bit of Netiquette :)

I believe that most posters are well aware that Brian's favourite colour is corduroy.

I made a post to uk.d-i-y not to uk.blind.wankers.
--
Adam

Duh. Please read the whole post before saying anything silly.

The web has come along way since the inception of Usenet and whilst links to pictures and websites was once not approved of due to slow internet speeds, now it is routine to post such things. It's a clock that's not gonna get turned back I'm afraid.
Brian can whine but unfortunately for him, links to sites and pictures are now "normal".
Tim

Why should anyone posting have to declare this? Why would anyone be using a workplace computer for Usenet? If their job requires it then there will have to be acceptance by an employer that NSFW links may be encountered.
If you're misusing a workplace computer it's hardly the poster's fault.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

On 17/04/16 23:20, Tim+ wrote:

Simple etiquette.

Don't be so ridiculous - my workplace is fine with personal use in breaks. We don;t all work for Tesco. However, I don't want to be opening something dodgy. I'd also like to have a rough idea before clicking on links if my child is next to me.

If they're fine with personal use then no problem. Do they expect you to be psychic and know where every link goes? If not, then don't use a work computer. Use a smart phone.

You take your kids to work? Usenet is such a yawnfest for kids today I think you'd have to nail them down to get the to look at it these days. They're probably too busy sexting their friends and looking at stuff that would make your hair curl if you knew about it.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

On 17/04/16 23:36, Tim+ wrote:

I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

Lemme see - someone posts a disguised link to goatse (a clone obviously as Christmas Island got pissed off pulled the original) and I'm sitting next to them? Just an example.
People on Facebook manage to add SFW/NSFW so I don't see why USENET should be exempt from such simple netiquette.
Again, this is a big fat tangent and has nothing to do with Adam's post as that was obviously SFW.

I very much know about it - and I deal with what my kids can and cannot access on mobile networks and my own. Regularly... It is a battle, but not one I'm going to lose. I feel sorry for technophobic parents

I guess your kids never go around to their friends' houses? You've probably lost already, you just don't know it yet.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

writes

Difficult, innit? Our lad is 15, and we do all we can to monitor his online usage, but we cannot realistically monitor every web site he visits and everyone he talks to, 24/7. I know that, were I his age now, I would do all I could to prevent my parents monitoring me, probably successfully.
--
Graeme

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:09:13 +0100, News wrote:

technophobic

You've

+1

What's asking to be opened? A locked door, marked "Do Not Enter - Authorised Personnel Only" or an unlocked door marked "Not a Nice Place"?
We've never restricted access to any of the 'net but we have taken the time to talk to them and explain that there are some nasty things out there (just like the real world) and that just because it's on the 'net or in an email doesn't make it true. They didn't have 'net access in their rooms though, only at a shared computer in a communal space so we could glance over their shoulders. Once one of them got a laptop with WiFi, at about 13/14, the access point was on a time switch and went off at midnight. But that was to try an make sure they went to sleep not browse the web...

Agreed, 5 minutes with google or mates in the playground will have most blocks bypassed.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Good luck bypassing my firewall.
But then, I don't have children. :o)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 36th day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 19/04/2016 08:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I persuaded my kids that I am quite capable of seeing exactly what they had been doing on the shared computer. (It's true too - I have admin rights, they don't.)
I then never bothered to check. The fact that they believed I could was enough to keep them careful.
Andy
On Tuesday, 19 April 2016 21:01:56 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

But how can you be sure ? Maybe they are fooling you.
As with the subject we have PAT testers here who come in and put stickers on teh plugs of equipemtn to show they have been tested, but tehy have mana ged to do that without switch the computers off of unplugging any equipment . So accodring to admin we have had all our electrical stuff PAT tested, but in reality we;ve been paying £150 per hour for a couple of people to come along and stick stickers on every plug saying it needs testing next year t oo.