For Tim Watts - the first use of my tracer

As review as requested by your good self.
I finally found a use for it yesterday.
Full story.
Let's start off with picture 1.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Tracer1.jpg
This is going to be a dry liner box in the ceiling with a CO detector over it. Power comes in via the T&E and goes out to the 3 core and earth to the CO detector in the kitchen. The 3 core offers an interlink should I decide to use it.
Now in the 6 weeks since I first fixed the place the kitchen ceiling has been patched and reskimmed and the cable in the kitchen is now missing.
I am not going to pretend that I had no idea where the missing cable was. Now to make this work I had to connect up the 3 core and earth cpcs to give the 3 core the required earth.
I made the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVgMoYV9tg&feature=youtu.be

and although X marks the spot I knew that the cable should have been in line with the trunking for the break glass so I drilled slightly off from the marked spot.
Have a look at picture 2
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Tracer2.jpg
and X was where the end of the cable was resting on the ceiling.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

On 19/11/2018 18:18, Andy Burns wrote:

Lifting of the ceiling tiles.
A good move in any school when you can see footprints on the worktop around the sink in the lads toilets.
It's just waiting game to find out who is going to collect what has been hidden.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

One college I used to do some work for, a couple of lads lifted ceiling tiles (it was in the toilets) and snipped one of the fibre optic network cables.
They were caught ...
... but unbelievably no further action taken, I gather they were desperate to keep as many students on roll as possible for funding!
On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 21:22:40 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

I can understand that we do similar here.
On Monday, 19 November 2018 18:10:35 UTC, ARW wrote:

Phone people been using these for decades, and I must confess they are wonderful when confronted with dozens of wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKOAnnSb3c

Owain
On 19/11/2018 18:37, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Yes, but I now have my own, no longer borrowing the works one.
--
Adam

On 19/11/2018 18:55, ARW wrote:

and the common phone/data ones don't work at distance / though ceilings etc, or give the same "range" feedback
--
Cheers,

John.
On 20/11/2018 00:13, John Rumm wrote:

TBH My first attempt actually did not work as the emergency lighting cable that runs alongside the CO cable was live. That will limit the use in an occupied office etc.
--
Adam

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 00:13:08 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

They do if you use your ears. Louder the sound from the tracer the nearer the probe is to the wire. OK range isn't great my set might just do 6" but that's probably more down to the sender than the probe. Use a tone source and audio amp with a decent output voltage swing would work better. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 20/11/2018 10:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:

With mine the 6" is being a bit optimistic in many cases - especially if injecting a signal into a wire that is patched into a PABX or network switch. It will let you find which wire in a cable, but I would not have much faith in finding where the wire is in the wall etc.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 19/11/18 18:10, ARW wrote:

Wow. Cool. I am going to look at that video a bit later after I've cooked supper.
--
Email does not work

On 19/11/2018 18:10, ARW wrote:

I have a slightly less sophisticated one (just a tone generator and a amp/speaker combination) for tracing telephone cables. That looks cool though- how much/where from?
On 19/11/2018 20:50, Chris Bartram wrote:

Part of a dual kit
http://www.socketandsee.co.uk/socket-and-see-ffcdcfkit-fuse-finder-and-dead-circuit-tracer-kit.html
I paid just over £220
--
Adam

Although I do understand the idea behind making videos for instruction of how to use things. It is quite hard nowadays for me being blind to actually find any instructions on how to do anything which is not just a yyoutube video. The simplest of devices now has a video and although often the device is perfectly capable of use by a person with little or no sight nobody ever acknowledges this fact and provides textual instructions.
Brian
--
----- --
On 20/11/2018 08:05, Brian Gaff wrote:

In this particular case it was not an instructional video, just one demonstrating a device in use.
Adam was using the tracer to locate a wire above a boarded and skimmed ceiling. The tracer gave audible and visual "bar graph" style indication of how far it was from the wire.
--
Cheers,

John.