The vaulted ceiling is complete

Back in November some of you may remember that when I arrived at work I was faced with this

Well now the job is complete. Today I finished off the lighting.

First a test was done in April using a 1m length of LED strip to see what the customers thought of it. The following photo is just one side lit with the short strip of LED and no other lighting (and judging by the quality of the photo it was taken by TMH)

So now the kitchen is in and so are the two rows of LED strip.

The camera makes the light look a lot more orange and brighter than it really is and I am awaiting a night time shot from the customer.

The length of the LED strips are 4m each and 5W/m and the customer chose the warm white

Reply to
ARW

That is really nice.

Do you know what they used for roof ties - steel box? Looks like every other rafter?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very nice finish.

As an aside, is it lensing in the first picture or, am I really seeing what I think is roof spread? The following pictures don't show the profiling finish.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

It is steel box. Well spotted.

There is also a full length steel bar just above the doors supporting the walls (below the triangle window).

Reply to
ARW

I remember you saying there were no ties so I was looking to see if they fixed that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this the flexible self-adhesive ribbon? I have been experimenting with that. I tried lighting an aquarium by shining the light through the edge of the glass, but didn't get the effect I wanted, so used it as under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen which is fine for intensity and reasonable for colour-rendering but a bit "dotty" when reflected off shiny things and liquids.

What are you sticking them to, and how are you taking the connection strain off the strips?

Reply to
Graham.

There certainly was roof spread. The wall were pulled back in and joists added.

Reply to
ARW

It is just self adhesive LED strip stuck to trunking lid and laid in the trough at the top of the wall.

As for connection strain - there is none. I fed the LEDs with 1.5 T&E and crimped this to the LED fly leads and then poked the crimps into the stud wall (with a bit of heatsleaving over them). Is that what you are asking? - if not then let me know.

BTW you can buy diffusers for LED strips. I suppose that could be useful over a glossy worktop.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

Yes, been playing with RGB LED strips in youngest daughter bedroom. I basically did the same (but with 4 core flex).

For a bit of strip left when I cut the roll I used the little clip on connectors rather than faff with soldering on new leads

Reply to
Chris French

Thanks Tim. I was worried how it would turn out as this is the first time I have tried lighting in this way

The customer has supplied me with the following photos

Taken from the kitchen end with the kitchen spots off.

The kitchen spots (5x 5W spots) on and the vaulted lights off - the kitchen is part of the main house.

And then there there were these two

avaultednight3 shows that a little tweaking is needed on the trunking lid to re-aim the LED strip. I don't know if that is to compensate for errors in the trough or for the ceiling. However I can make the light as level as pic no 4 with small packers under the trunking lid.

I also made provision to switch the vaulted lights separately if required.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Nice :)