ceiling light

I'm looking for a nice simple pair of ceiling lights. Nothing fancy. They're for the dining room though, so they have to look 'domestic' not 'industrial'. They have to use LEDs and each needs to have a total light output slightly better than an 80W fluorescent. They need to emit light omnidirectionally so a lot of light hits the white ceiling and walls, so there are no harsh shadows.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Light fittings or lamps?

Reply to
PeterC

Cheap and cheerful but has been running well for 9 months. Wish I'd bought the warm white though.....

Reply to
stuart noble

Do you really need the equivalent of 2 x 80W fluorescents? With modern T5s that's around 12,000 lumen in total. Even 2 x 40W SON replacements come nowhere near that. Using 3W LEDs you'd need a chandelier :)

Reply to
Robin

Light fittings that will take LEDs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'd not say that lighting level is unreasonable. The dining room may well be used for other tasks where you want decent light. I've got twin florries running the length of my workbench in the workshop. Would have a higher level too if practicable.

The beauty of the now not fashionable tungsten was you could have decent high levels of lighting - and dim it were you didn't want it so bright. Now, to save a few quid in electricity, we have lighting which is difficult or impossible to dim in the same way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ght-Wall-Kitchen-Bathroom-Lamp-/161173037710?var=&hash=item2586a9628e:m:mUB_wLXGTmoAfaJB3lDpypw

Hmm... Do they look OK when not recessed?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As per the photos. Not exactly a fashion statement but ....

Reply to
stuart noble

The room is long. It is used for various reading and writing tasks. Also we have one person here who can only just see to read the paper, so he needs a bright light.

Reply to
Bill Wright

If these 80W tubes are old, the light output may be well down in any case. Colour temperature will also have an effect. We've all seen the dreadful effects of some CFL lamps.

Reply to
Capitol

It seems to be some heinous crime these days wanting bright lighting when needed.

As if that really did make a difference to the country's energy consumption, with most houses leaking out heat everywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After midnight in our local 24 hour Tesco, they dim the general lighting, and turn off the LED lights in the freezer cabinets, so I usually have to open all the doors to see whats inside.

Reply to
Graham.

Why not try general low level lighting with dedicated task lights?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

ISTM any "single source" coming anywhere an 80W tube risks glare unless shielded from direct view - with the losses that involves. So, if aesthetics rule out HF fluorescents, how about nice-looking fittings which each take around 10 lamps? -Eg

? With dimmable LEDs?

Reply to
Robin

Any light fitting with a Bayonet Cap will take a 10 watt LED. Omnidirectional. I find them to be excellent.

Reply to
harry

How about some quite smart replacement fluorescent fittings?

GB

Use more light sources...

You can use ceiling lighting points for something decorative but not aiming to provide all the light in the room. That gives you many more options and avoids ending up with possible glare from few light sources.

For the main lighting, do you have high furniture such as a dresser? You can install hidden ceiling-facing lights on top. Other options would be to use one or two tall uplighters. I converted several we had in the family that originally took 500W halogens to use LED replacements for 2D tubes, and these work very well (although not dimmable). Some table lamps on low-level furniture around the walls can also be effective - the conventional tubular shades can be effective at lighting the ceiling without visible glare from the light.

My parents wanted their living room much brighter than is usual. There was a 20' curtain pelmet along one wall (very 1970's but they wanted to keep it). I put a line of 54W T5 dimmable fluorescents along the top rear just out of sight, which bounce light off the white ceiling and off the curtain fronts. They are very pleased with it. It can be turned up to office lighting levels when needed, and dimmed to more normal living room lighting levels at other times. The original ceiling lighting points have a few LED spots highlighting some features in the room, but do not aim to provide the main lighting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Bill Wright writes

2x80W fluorescent lamps?

That' could be lot of light (and that's from someone who like plenty of light) what type of bulbs are the current ones - the lumen output of fluorescent varies at lot depending on the type of bulb. for a T5 linear bulbs that is probably over 12000 lumens (I've a 36W one in the corner of the room that says about 3300 lumens). CFL are less efficient - it might only be about 4-5000 lumens

So what sort of lumens output do you think you will need.? To get that out LED in a normal light fitting you are going to need multiple bulbs - To get 12000 lumens you'd want about 10 x 12W LED at least.

We have a couple of styles of multi armed metal lights here, with frosted glass shades. Some with the bulbs pointing down.

Very like this:

and some with them pointing up - vaguely like these. But there are lots of this style of light around, choose one that suits you, in terms of style and number of bulbs:

These latter ones light the ceiling and walls well. I have recently put some corncob style LED bulbs in them which give a nice even spread of light.

We have 2 x 3 bulb lights, with 4.8W led bulbs like this in them - gives about 2000 lumens.

So maybe say a couple of 5 arm fittings with some larger LED bulbs would do the job?

I'd also maybe consider more sources of light in the room?

Reply to
Chris French

I'd like to do that and I fancy LED downlights but the room upstairs is full of stuff so I'd have to do it all from below.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

-arm/p150397?sku=230413232&kpid=230413232&s_kenid=3416e275-542e-4ff4-b07f-152334bd09e0&s_kwc

id=404x1338884&tmad=c&tmcampid=73?

Do you reckon that has a transformer and feeds 12v to the bulbs?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright