Auger bit in a power drill?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-auger-bit-10x-200mm/92960
Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a brace before.
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

Its not a brace bit as it has a round shank to fit a drill chuck.
I would make sure you have a low speed drill before using it.
On 17-Aug-16 3:00 PM, dennis@home wrote:

Great. Thanks for the prompt reply.
On 17/08/2016 15:00, dennis@home wrote:

Be careful, it can suddenly snatch and hurt your wrist.
Bill
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 14:46:50 UTC+1, GB wrote:

Easily. I've drilled loads of holes with a 1" auger in a historic B&D drill. You do need 2 speed gearbox for that - 10mm ought to manage without though. And you need reverse to get it out again, or some tough gloves.
NT
On 17/08/2016 14:46, GB wrote:

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.
They work best on drills with a low speed gearing and lots of torque.

Different end on the shaft - they have a square drive (tapered) normally.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 17/08/16 14:46, GB wrote:

When I was drilling a lot in oak I took to removing or shortening the pointy threaded tip sometimes. It pulled the drill in too strongly and the process was much easier going with the pressure reduced, but ymmv.
A cheap drill went up in flames (literally) on one occasion, but yes is the answer, with care. tw

Depending on what you are trying to do, I've had good success with Forstner Auger bits in std drills:
http://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/auger-bits/why-would-you-choose-an-auger-bit-over-other-drill-bits/
I think I used one to chain-drill a line across a sub-terrain wood gate post with the bit in a long extension and think it was probably tougher than the alternatives.
Cheers, T i m
On 8/17/2016 2:46 PM, GB wrote:

As others have said, they are fine. Best to use low speed on a two speed drill, and keep the speed down with the trigger. More care needed in oak than in softwood.
On 17/08/2016 21:12, newshound wrote:

If you need to reduce the "pull" of the worm drive on a one off basis (rather than permanently by grinding the worm off/down) pre drill a small (say 4mm) hole with a normal bit first. That will leave the worm with far less material to engage with.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 8/17/2016 11:57 PM, John Rumm wrote: