Auger bit in a power drill?

Can you use this in a power drill? I've only ever used this type with a brace before.

Reply to
GB

Its not a brace bit as it has a round shank to fit a drill chuck.

I would make sure you have a low speed drill before using it.

Reply to
dennis

Great. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Reply to
GB

Easily. I've drilled loads of holes with a 1" auger in a historic B&D drill. You do need 2 speed gearbox for that - 10mm ought to manage without though. And you need reverse to get it out again, or some tough gloves.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, it has a round or hex shank.

They work best on drills with a low speed gearing and lots of torque.

Different end on the shaft - they have a square drive (tapered) normally.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I was drilling a lot in oak I took to removing or shortening the pointy threaded tip sometimes. It pulled the drill in too strongly and the process was much easier going with the pressure reduced, but ymmv.

A cheap drill went up in flames (literally) on one occasion, but yes is the answer, with care. tw

Reply to
TimW

Depending on what you are trying to do, I've had good success with Forstner Auger bits in std drills:

I think I used one to chain-drill a line across a sub-terrain wood gate post with the bit in a long extension and think it was probably tougher than the alternatives.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As others have said, they are fine. Best to use low speed on a two speed drill, and keep the speed down with the trigger. More care needed in oak than in softwood.

Reply to
newshound

If you need to reduce the "pull" of the worm drive on a one off basis (rather than permanently by grinding the worm off/down) pre drill a small (say 4mm) hole with a normal bit first. That will leave the worm with far less material to engage with.

Reply to
John Rumm

Be careful, it can suddenly snatch and hurt your wrist.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Excellent point!