Subject Author Posted Replies

Silencing a genarator the professional way
What do you do when you are a developer who has moved in residents in a new development under construction before the mains gets connected. You put in a couple of generators that annoy people so much...
11
11

Just been scammed
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £33 7. I hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bon uses. Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod...
5
5

The night time toilet light
Has been a popular query here, the provision of a constantly burning nightlight so nocturnal trips to the loo happen without incident. On that, Big Clive has found a chinese PIR solution. Nocturnal...
3
3

Lawn edgers
She forced me into the garden again today to fight with the useless strimmer in order that her lawn edges were neatened up. This was the usual nearly 2 hours of broken strimmer cord, rewinding the...
11
11

RCD wiring top and bottom in consumer unit
The 80A Wylex RCD in my new consumer unit has 2 connections top, and 2 bottom. Is it OK to wire the Live input to the top, the Neutral input to the bottom, the Live output to the top, and the Neutral...
16
16

Bolt thread 6mm 14-15tpi
We have a bolt as above on an office chair, probably from Staples. Anyone know what the official description of said bolt is? NT
42
42

What was that old canard about making things foolproof,,
...and they design a better fool ? Seems *successive* system warnings were over-ridden to manage to get the accident to happen. They *really* worked hard at that. Let's hope they don't also service...
2
2

In-line water filters & tri-flow taps
Our mains water is foul. Very heavily chlorinated and extremely "hard". I'm sorting the hardness issue by fitting a water softener as part of the kitchen refurb, but bearing in mind the requirement to...
9
9

OT - Tradesman's Insurance
Hi all If you employ workmen to do stuff on your property, what sort of insurance should they have? I am thinking that they should have public liability as an operating business, but does this protect...
8
8

What is the function of the thermal cut out switch on a AEG cooker
+uk.d-i-y Sounds like the case thermostat. It cuts the power if the case overheats, to protect against setting light to other nearby items. Check the case fan, which should keep the external case...
1
1

Bathroom mirror
I'm after one of those LED illuminated bathroom mirrors with a built-in shaver socket & contactless operation (you switch them on and off by waving a hand at them.) The damn things are *everywhere*,...
9
9

How to deal with this woodworm?
There are signs of woodworm in our washroom annex which was built about 20 years ago. I saw some sawdust but only below the rotten bits (in the picture) where the paint had come off. I wonder if...
6
6

"20 weight" oil needed for rowing machine chain?
The manual for my rowing machine tells me I need to lubricate the chain every 600 miles with "20 weight" oil. I've never heard this term before but Google tells me (not surprisingly) it's a grading...
40
40

Evil gate valve claims another victim...
Had a call from a friend earlier with his tale of woe. He had turned off his hot water using the tap feeding the base of the cylinder so that he could change a tap washer in the kitchen. Turned it...
47
47

OT; It's been a funny old day....
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks. TS Droid; We only have one in stock. TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock? TS Droid; Blank expression. Popped next door to...
81
81