Our mains water is foul. Very heavily chlorinated and extremely
"hard". I'm sorting the hardness issue by fitting a water softener as
part of the kitchen refurb, but bearing in mind the requirement to have
an unsoftened supply in the kitchen, and the levels of chlorination, I
was thinking about fitting a tri-flow tap and an inline filter to remove
the chlorine. Anyone know anything about these? How long do the filters
last? How much do they cost? Do they soften as well as remove chlorine,
and if so, how does that fit in with the requirement for an unsoftened
supply? I expect we'll get a Franke tap, but who makes a good filter?
And is the water that comes out of them any more drinkable than what
There's an extraordinary amount of woo on the web about these, so
I'd appreciate some sensible comment from you lot.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 50th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
We used to have a separate drinking water tap (though I'm sure a triflow
tape would have been neater). The cartridges reduced scale and taste.
They worked quite well for a few weeks, maybe two or three, then scale
returned to our tea. The reduced taste lasted longer but clearly became
less effective quite quickly.
Cost (and tediousness of changing) became bugbears. We tended not to
change as often as it needed which helped with cost, but ended up having
grotty, scaly tea. When you do that, you wonder why you bothered in the
We took the other approach in the end. Lovely clean, fairly soft water
with virtually no detectable chlorine or other smells or tastes. But
moving house might not be an option for you...
Some suppliers use Chloramine instead of Chlorine , not sure if the
std filters remove this as easily as Chlorine or whether filters
designed for that chemical may do a better job.
This suppler claims that theirs does.
Your supplier (Anglian?) should be able to tell you what they use at
your address. It can vary between treatment plants.
A filter jug will 'remove' chlorine, as will any way of letting it stand
for a while - the chlorine will dissipate into the air. Of course,
that's why you can smell it.
I fill a glass from the tap with my finger over the spout to form a fast
jet, then just blow on it. That seems to work, but I may be fooling
myself. If I am, I don't want to know.
replying to Syd Rumpo, YorkshireDave wrote:
Filters DO NOT soften. The only way to use a filter is to monitor water flowing
through it so it's changed regularly. They now do whole house filters that go
onto your incoming mains. However, you will be shocked at the rate they need
changing as few of us are aware of just how much water we consume. Better option
would be to lose some space under the sink and put one on the main kitchen cold
tap. It will last 3-5 times longer. Softeners are extremely expensive in terms
of water waste and upkeep and its disgusting to drink!!
He is wrong anyway as you can get filters that will take out the
temporary hardness quite easily. For example Brita P1000 cartridges will
but they aren't cheap.
However you can buy a lot of them for the cost of a water softener if
all you want is a few litres that don't scale up the kettle. (They also
take out chlorine but don't tell huge.)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.