In-line water filters & tri-flow taps

Our mains water is foul. Very heavily chlorinated and extremely "hard". I'm sorting the hardness issue by fitting a water softener as part of the kitchen refurb, but bearing in mind the requirement to have an unsoftened supply in the kitchen, and the levels of chlorination, I was thinking about fitting a tri-flow tap and an inline filter to remove the chlorine. Anyone know anything about these? How long do the filters last? How much do they cost? Do they soften as well as remove chlorine, and if so, how does that fit in with the requirement for an unsoftened supply? I expect we'll get a Franke tap, but who makes a good filter? And is the water that comes out of them any more drinkable than what goes in?

There's an extraordinary amount of woo on the web about these, so I'd appreciate some sensible comment from you lot.

Reply to
Huge

Yes some of do know! but since huge has me kill filed he won't know.

Reply to
dennis

We used to have a separate drinking water tap (though I'm sure a triflow tape would have been neater). The cartridges reduced scale and taste.

They worked quite well for a few weeks, maybe two or three, then scale returned to our tea. The reduced taste lasted longer but clearly became less effective quite quickly.

Cost (and tediousness of changing) became bugbears. We tended not to change as often as it needed which helped with cost, but ended up having grotty, scaly tea. When you do that, you wonder why you bothered in the first place.

We took the other approach in the end. Lovely clean, fairly soft water with virtually no detectable chlorine or other smells or tastes. But moving house might not be an option for you...

Reply to
polygonum

Some suppliers use Chloramine instead of Chlorine , not sure if the std filters remove this as easily as Chlorine or whether filters designed for that chemical may do a better job. This suppler claims that theirs does.

Your supplier (Anglian?) should be able to tell you what they use at your address. It can vary between treatment plants.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A filter jug will 'remove' chlorine, as will any way of letting it stand for a while - the chlorine will dissipate into the air. Of course, that's why you can smell it.

I fill a glass from the tap with my finger over the spout to form a fast jet, then just blow on it. That seems to work, but I may be fooling myself. If I am, I don't want to know.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Thanks!

Reply to
Huge

replying to Syd Rumpo, YorkshireDave wrote: Filters DO NOT soften. The only way to use a filter is to monitor water flowing through it so it's changed regularly. They now do whole house filters that go onto your incoming mains. However, you will be shocked at the rate they need changing as few of us are aware of just how much water we consume. Better option would be to lose some space under the sink and put one on the main kitchen cold tap. It will last 3-5 times longer. Softeners are extremely expensive in terms of water waste and upkeep and its disgusting to drink!!

Reply to
YorkshireDave

I didn't claim that filters could soften. Learn to read, it can be quite fulfilling.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

He is wrong anyway as you can get filters that will take out the temporary hardness quite easily. For example Brita P1000 cartridges will but they aren't cheap. However you can buy a lot of them for the cost of a water softener if all you want is a few litres that don't scale up the kettle. (They also take out chlorine but don't tell huge.)

Reply to
dennis

Which is what we're going to do. Hence triflow tap(s).

Reply to
Huge