Tri-Level Moisture

Greetings all! I have just bought a house in the Mid-west that is a Tri-level. We have so much moisture in the lower level that the tiles don't stick and on the floor boards they are moist. I have a de-humidifier running full blast all the time that helps but once it stops if I am at work etc.. Anyways.. Any ideas on how I can shore up the moisture problem?? Where should I look etc.?? Yeah I am a new home owner but am someone who does not mind getting dirt under the nails etc..:) Thanks! Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Crone

Tiles are coming loose, or you tried to install and found the subfloor wet???? What kind of tile? Please give more info. What is in the lower level, and where is it in relationship to plumbing and slope of the lot?? Low side? Water heater and plumbing located there? Slab floor or crawl space? Sump pump anywhere?

Before you attempt any changes, I would explore having an inspection done and pursuing warranty issues since you "just" bought the house. Was anything stated in the purchase agreement about moisture problems? Are you in an area that has had excessively heavy rain? Soil type? Swampy/river close by? Generally elevated or low area? On a hill or valley?

Reply to
RamblinOn

Darrell, could you describe the arrangement of the house and the moisture a bit more, please? Is the moisture confined to the lowest level? Is that level below grade? Are there stains, generalized rust or other indications that the moisture condition is long term? How is the lowest level heated and cooled?

If the moisture is confined to the lowest floor, it may be condensation resulting from relatively warm, moist air and a slab cooled by the earth. If the entire volume of the lower level is moist, but the other levels of the house are not, and there is forced air heating or cooling, the moisture must be from a source such as infiltration or leaks that is available in that level only.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

AND, make sure the exhaust vent fans are running when cooking, taking showers, and the dryer is vented to the outside.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J