OT - Tradesman's Insurance

Hi all

If you employ workmen to do stuff on your property, what sort of insurance should they have?

I am thinking that they should have public liability as an operating business, but does this protect their customers against damage they cause?

Example: Tree surgeons fell a tree on top of your house and do £10-20k damage.

Should they, as a matter of course, have insurance to cover repairs to the house? Does this fall under public liability, or is this a separate policy with a different title?

The reason for these questions - I am looking to get fascias and soffits replaced and also some tree pruning done.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

IN essence AIUI

1/. Your insurance covers the damage 2/. Your insurance contacts their insurance for reimbursement, or failing that, sues them for the damage.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , thescullster writes

You could phone some insurers and ask what cover you need to set up such a business:-)

My public liability would cover me for injuring a passer-by while trimming my own hedges but not while doing the same job for a neighbour or commercially.

Builders who have suitable insurance may mention this at the quotation stage.

One for TMH?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not sure it does. If the wind causes a tree to fall on your house, you insurance would cover it. But if someone you are employing causes the damage, I don't think it would be covered. Many home policies exclude damage caused during renovation work, etc.

I think it's essential to ensure that the tradesman has sufficient cover.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Even without an exclusion, most policies only cover specific perils, eg fire, flood, wind. Mistakes by workmen is not often on the list.

Reply to
GB

You will usually find that any companies that do contract work for the local council have insurance because councils are twitchy about such things. FWIW though, as others have said.

Reply to
Lee

They should have Professional Indemnity Insurance.

Reply to
bert

Public liability insurance is the one they should have. It's pretty standard for most tradesmen. Just ask them for a copy of their certificate - any good tradie will be happy to provide it.

Reply to
raymond.singh79

If they are a Limited company, they are legally required to have insurance cover. However, they might take on some work which is outside what they agreed with their insurer, and then they won't be covered (which is probably illegal, but won't get you any compensation).

If they are not a Limited company, I don't believe they have to have insurance, but you can sue them personally although that's only worthwhile if they have any money or assets (such as a house).

The Architect who project managed my parents' loft extension required the builder to provide a copy of their insurance certificate before starting work.

I have to provide a copy of my insurance certificate to my client before starting to work for them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel