OT - Tradesman's Insurance

Hi all
If you employ workmen to do stuff on your property, what sort of insurance should they have?
I am thinking that they should have public liability as an operating business, but does this protect their customers against damage they cause?
Example: Tree surgeons fell a tree on top of your house and do £10-20k damage.
Should they, as a matter of course, have insurance to cover repairs to the house? Does this fall under public liability, or is this a separate policy with a different title?
The reason for these questions - I am looking to get fascias and soffits replaced and also some tree pruning done.
Thanks
Phil
On 26/09/16 09:01, thescullster wrote:

IN essence AIUI
1/. Your insurance covers the damage 2/. Your insurance contacts their insurance for reimbursement, or failing that, sues them for the damage.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

I'm not sure it does. If the wind causes a tree to fall on your house, you insurance would cover it. But if someone you are employing causes the damage, I don't think it would be covered. Many home policies exclude damage caused during renovation work, etc.
I think it's essential to ensure that the tradesman has sufficient cover.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 26-Sep-16 10:56 AM, Roger Mills wrote:

Even without an exclusion, most policies only cover specific perils, eg fire, flood, wind. Mistakes by workmen is not often on the list.

They should have Professional Indemnity Insurance.
--
bert

writes

You could phone some insurers and ask what cover you need to set up such a business:-)
My public liability would cover me for injuring a passer-by while trimming my own hedges but not while doing the same job for a neighbour or commercially.
Builders who have suitable insurance may mention this at the quotation stage.
One for TMH?
--
Tim Lamb

If they are a Limited company, they are legally required to have insurance cover. However, they might take on some work which is outside what they agreed with their insurer, and then they won't be covered (which is probably illegal, but won't get you any compensation).
If they are not a Limited company, I don't believe they have to have insurance, but you can sue them personally although that's only worthwhile if they have any money or assets (such as a house).

The Architect who project managed my parents' loft extension required the builder to provide a copy of their insurance certificate before starting work.
I have to provide a copy of my insurance certificate to my client before starting to work for them.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I don't require them to have any.

Only if they decide they want to go that route.

Corse not.

Stupid name.

They are legally liable for that damage. Your insurance will cover that too if you have insured your house.

Nope.

Nope, that is a different liability.

It may or may not be included in what insurance they have.

There is no way of ensuring that no matter how spectacularly they fuck up, that their insurance will pay for that.
On 26/09/16 11:38, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

This is the truth. A tradesman has insurance to protect himself from you, his customer, not for your convenience. If you want your house to be insured you really need to insure it yourself and not expect anyone else to do it for you.
Claims of negligence can be complicated, take a long time and have uncertain outcomes. If you instruct a bloke to chop down a tree in your garden and it falls down on your house it isn't necessarily his fault and his insurers (if he has any) won't just pay out for you, as a matter of course.
TW
On 26/09/2016 09:01, thescullster wrote:

You will usually find that any companies that do contract work for the local council have insurance because councils are twitchy about such things. FWIW though, as others have said.
Public liability insurance is the one they should have. It's pretty standard for most tradesmen. Just ask them for a copy of their certificate - any good tradie will be happy to provide it.