Slightly OT: water supply pipe insurance cover

My water supply pipe sprung a leak recently and as it was the first time it has leaked it was repaired free of charge by the water company, but any further repairs have to be paid for by me or by a water supply pipe insurance policy. It is a steel pipe feeding a Victorian semi-detached house which rusted through and is likely to do so again. The pipe is about 50 feet long and buried under a concrete path and a paved patio so DIY repairs are NOT an option for me. HomeServe is recommended by the water company (they get a kick-back for each policy) and HomeServe seems to be the main player in this market, apart from British Gas which has a HomeCare policy which provides water supply pipe cover.

Does anyone know of any other insurers that provide water supply pipe cover?

I have checked with my house insurance provider and they confirm that buildings cover only covers repairs to leaks from underground pipes that are caused by accidental damage, tree roots and subsidence, NOT corrosion.

A happy New Year to everyone!

Reply to
Professor Strabismus

Insurance will cover damage and accidents, not wear and tear.

In almost all circumstances the water supply co is responsible up to the property boundary. I assume the pipe you're talking about is on your side of the boundary. Most reputable insurance companies will provide water supply cover, but as I said, for accident and damage, not wear and tear. Wear and tear is something you pay for as part of your property occupation running costs. You don't expect an insurance company to buy you new lightbulbs or toilet paper.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Since you know it is a problem you will have to declare the risk to any new insurer so the real solution is to get is replaced. I am surprised the water company did not offer you the option whilst they had a hole dug. The have equipment called mole that can, as the name suggests, burrow under all the obstructions to allow a new plastic pipe to be inserted. That really would be you best option.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I laid my own plastic pipe. That was a piece of cake. The fittings screwed togther without tools. All I needed was a hacksaw to cut the pipe.

Reply to
Matty F

I don't think declaration is the issue - buildings insurance doesn't cover this type of rusting pipe wear and tear risk, and HomeServe insurance is specifically for this type of risk. We are considering refurbishing the kitchen bathroom area this year, which will involve moving the water supply pipe that is inside the property, so complete renewal of the outside pipe at the same time seems the best way to go. In the meantime, HomeServe insurance (£30 for the year) will give me cover against a bill of several hundred pounds should the pipe leak again.

Reply to
Professor Strabismus

If you have not, or do not, declare the potential problem or previous claim to the insurer that will enable them to refuse any subsequent claim. It is also a criminal offence.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

For water supplies the owner (unless it is varied by a lease or other contract) is responsible up to the water company stop c*ck.

For sewers proved to be built pre 1937 they are the responsibility of the drainage company. After 1937 subject to covenants etc. they are the responsibility of the property owner up to the public main which can be some way away.

Generally speaking household insurance policies cover damage resulting from external causes. They usually exclude corrosion, wear and tear, vermin, most gradually operating causes and the like.

The contracts offered by or through water companies are really maintenance contracts.

This has set me thinking. We now have a very expensive block paved drive across the whole of our frontage with both foul drainage and water supply running underneath. I will need to check the costs of policies and exactly what reinstatement they cover. (CARE!)

Anyone know of the best policies? Water supply here is Essex Water and drainage is Anglian Water.

Reply to
Invisible Man

To answer your question rather than debate your responsibilities. I am only aware of one company that covers water pipes. Mine is covered by Homeserve too.

Like you we had a steel pipe that ran through to the house and it rusted. Unlike you ours was 150 ft long. It sprang leaks in two places , both considered to be our side of the boundary ( although the one was questionable as the land concerned has always been in dispute between me ( and my predecessors) and the Local Authority . Since I have now maintained it for 15 years, I claim it under adverse posession but thats another story).

Anyway, they guy came and mended the one leak under the policy. He knew there were two but he was having difficulty locating the second ( we did find it btw) and said he would come back BUT and here it is - he wanted to run a new pipe in by a different route and that would have cut off my outside workshiop and garden loo and I didnt want that. However, that was the option he negotiated with homeserve!

Fortunately for me my OH, ( he who is often useless) realised what the issue was with the Homeserve plan ( OH told me of several other problems I would likely encounter with the re route as it was to come under the house in the void!) and hopped to and dug a new route out himself ( well I did the digging, he supervised and did the hard stuff) under the garden paralell to the original route from where the first repair was made. and bought it across the drive ( the really hard bit) and into the house via the original stop tap ( where we established the second leak to be when we took up the paving there).

Long story . Sorry. But to reiterate. I dont know of another insurance company. I cant 100% recommend Homeserve - although they didnt quibble the work to be done, it was the time and what they wanted to do that got to me.

I dont know if that helps or not.

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , Peter Crosland writes

Alternatively, isn't there also a system for *jacking* out the old steel pipe and drawing in a new plastic one at the same time?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think there's probably room for onsite negotiation with all this. The bloke what's repairing the pipe has a "mate" who happens to have a mole. You know, that sort of thing....

Reply to
stuart noble

If you're redoing the outside water main (as we are), consider laying in a 6" pipe that will contain insulation *and* the new water main. That way the new pipe doesn't need to be so deep and you' re better protected against frost. And, it's easier to replace later if need be.

Reply to
Tim Streater

One thing to watch out for, as I learnt this week, is that none of these policies cover you for loss of supply due to frozen pipes. Only if they burst afterwards.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

Reply to
Professor Strabismus

Drivel would have come over and done that for you

only a bit of a leak ...

Reply to
geoff

This appears to have been quietly changed in the last 10 years or so.

I looked into this as our company stopcock is 20 yards down the side of the road and > 15 yards from our boundary. I am sure I saw several web diagrams showing the responsibility changing at the boundary

*not* the company stop c*ck. I looked into it to asses the risk and if insurance could be a good idea... With most of the (plastic) supply pipe being outside our boundary I decided against.

How ever I've just found:

Which does place the change of responsibility at the company stop c*ck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There was a small item entitled "Supply Pipe insurance" in a Which? Aug

2010 article on Water Companies which may be of use:
's in the side panel).

Allan

Reply to
Allan

"harry" wrote: If you have a leak you can access, it can be fixed with a jubilee clip and a bit of flat rubber. (Pond liner stuff is ideal or similar) Rubber seals holejubilee clip holds in place. Not exactly permanent but lasts for years.

As stated in my original post, the pipe is about 50 feet long and buried under a concrete path and a paved patio so DIY repairs are NOT an option for me. My days of cutting through concrete and digging holes are unfortunately behind me.

Reply to
Professor Strabismus

Thanks for the article, but I have had my 'free' repair so subsequent leaks are my responsibility to pay for.

Reply to
Professor Strabismus