Water pipe insurance

Letter has just dropped through my door inviting me to part with £15.99 pa for the privilege of being insured against up to £2000 of the cost of replacing the water pipe from my meter to the house. Water Board make a great play, in said leaflet, of telling me that (a) that run if pipe is my responsibilty and (b) it's *****ing expensive is it springs a leak.

Any comments?

PS water pipe is under my brick driveway and has not broken in 4 years of parking 2tonnes of Range Rover on it ;-) But it was installed in

1954 and is steel.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

The big cost is trenching to get at it - the replacement pipe is relatively cheap and with modern fitting a doddle to use. If you are fit and into DIY it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Fit-ish but doubt that I'm any good at _re_ laying pavia (sp?) driveways that have been partially dug up!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

pavior

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hi,

I'd have thought they mean from the stopcock to the house. Might not hurt to go outside at night with a listening stick, and listen out for any leaks.

I'd have thought £16 per year into £2000 is easy money, it implies 1 in 3 pipes of that age will have leaked by now :)))

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Sorry I did mean from the water meter at the edge of the property to the house.

Interestingly though the leaflet says 'from meter to edge of house' is my responsibility. It would be foolish to ask the Water Board who, then, is responsible for the pipe inside my house!!!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage