Subject Author Posted Replies

Repairing fire rated drywall?
Do I need to do anything special when repairing holes in fire rated drywall (between garage and house)? Can I use any ordinary spackling compund? -- Dave
2
2

Who has the best CF lights
I have seen a lot of reviews however the bulbs I bought on a few magazine recommendations turned out to be garbage. Pretty much all of the soft white ones give decent light, but each of the models I...
11
11

Kitchen/Bathroom cabinets
Getting ready to replace cabinets in the kitchen and a complete master bath bath redo. Would be interested to know of first hand recommendations regarding brands of high quality cabinets and sources...
1
1

Good variable-speed spinner device
I want to make some "spinners" with my granddaughter. These are disks with various patterns that do interesting things when spinning. Some change colors: yellow and blue wedges turn green, all colors...
13
13

product opinion wanted?
I used regular old Leviton (I think? not sure) "spec grade" duplex receptacles for all the receps upstairs in my house. Someone sent me a link to this product and I am wondering if perhaps I should...
26
26

OT: 2011 New Year's Eve Glasses?
For the past decade, there's always been 2 zeros in the year, so New Year's Eve glasses were easy to make. even snuck in a pair for 2010 by shifting them to the right a little bit. will they do for...
4
4

Label maker for outdoor labels
More than a year ago I bought a DYMO (tm) brand label maker because one type of label available for it was a metallic tape that was "weather proof". It wanted to put labels on plastic buckets I keep...
5
5

Speaking of dishwashers
Does anyone have experience with "alternative" size dishwashers, such as drawer models, narrow models, and so forth? I'm currently using a trusty old Kenmore apartment-size portable that I hide in the...
22
22

Unvented gas logs question
It would be great if a professional with specific knowlege of this subject could answer this question. I have read in many places that one should never leave unvented gas logs on when they are...
7
7

Detecting joists through gypcrete
Is there any way to non-destructively and precisely determine the location of joists that support a floor consisting of 5/8 plywood topped by 1-1/2" of gypcrete? Thanks in advance for your replies.
5
5

Some random KA vs. Whirlpool dishwasher thoughts
We just moved into a new home with a Whirlpool DW about 5 month ago. We have had KA DWs for some 37 years previously and have become less and less satisfied with them. The last one only lasted 5 years...
5
5

Pergo End Joints?????
We just laid our first of five rooms of Pergo in one of our spare bedrooms and prior to installing, we did cement floor leveling as there were some "waves" in the room which helped a lot and we used a...
6
6

Rouge
Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?
11
11

Sabotaged Stanley garage door opener
A family member (soon to be deceased) needed to open my garage door without the remote, so he fiddled with either the open or close knobs on the bottom of the mechanism. This is a Stanley 3220.51....
9
9

Plumbing Question
I need to replace the washers in my shower handle and am wondering how to get to the washer. There doesnt seem to be a small screw holing the scution cap on, just caulk. There is a cap that is on the...
17
17