Where to get antique push button switches

Back in the early part of the 20th century, many homes had push button switches. There were two buttons one was ON, the other was OFF. The ones I saw always had black buttons with a detail on the top of the button. They were most often used with the old knob and tube wiring, but I recall seeing them used in metal boxes as well. I wish I would have saved these when I lived in an old house which had them. I really liked their look as well as the way they operated.

I would think that someone must be reproducing them. Does anyone know where to buy reproductions?

Thanks RK

Reply to
robkrause2

|7359|antique%20push%20button%20switches||S||4662974709&gclid=CLz5i53-laACFSFy5Qodmn2aeQ

Reply to
RBM

I think they are neat looking too. I remember them in both my grandparent's houses built around 1900 to 1910 era.

$18 for the switch, $16 for the plate.

Are Push-Button Switches UL listed? Currently, the EM0372, EM9035 push-button switches and the EM6152 push-button dimmer are UL listed. If you have any questions about UL requirements, check with your local code officials before installing these switches in inspected construction.

How authentic are push-button switches? Push-button wall switches were commonly available by the turn of the century, and the toggle switch followed a little later.

Other styles in the early days of electricity included a variety of surface-mounted wall switches on round, wooden, or white porcelain bases. Folks used pull chains, turn-keys, rotary knobs, round levers, and other types of switches - all now unavailable.

Push-button switches are as authentic as it gets. Push-button dimmers are not original, though surface-mounted rheostats weren't uncommon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amazon has them also, as well as switch plates.

DAGS: antique push button light switches

Reply to
Oren

yes, that type is very common, also try Rejuvenation, their prices may be better. Don't even bother buying new switch plates, you can get them all day every day on eBay for cheap. Far more common than toggle switch plates (I know, I have been trying to use antique .040" or thicker pressed brass plates everywhere that I've rewired in my house because I like the look of the nice crisp bevels, and for every one toggle switch plate I find I probably find ten of the pushbutton kind. In fact I think I have a few in my junk box because I had to buy them to get the ones I wanted. I finally managed to score a 5-pack of NOS toggle switch plates, after I already had most of the ones I needed.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My first home, a condo in a hundred-year old building had them. We walked into our new home for the first time, I said to my wife "Cool! push button switches!" Turned on the dining room light and sparks shot everywhere from that switch. They were the very first (of many) things I replaced.

(they are cool, though)

jc

Reply to
Joe

Mother Of Pearl Inlay? Almost - pretty sure :-/

Circa, 1950.

Grandparents had them in their home. Never recalled one going bad.

Reply to
Oren