Electrical - 24v residential light switches

My older house has these 24v, low voltage light switches made by GE(circa 1950's) for the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom. At each fixture, there is a 110v-24v transformer. I want to replace the switch, it's broken, but can't find a part#, name or anything.

None of the electrical wholesalers, retail or anyone has heard of these.

I've got a broken one, and others that I would like updated. Has anyone heard/seen what these are??

I can email a picture if needed.

thanks, samurai.

Reply to
samurai

Those things at the lighting outlets are relays. There is usually one large transformer to power the system, generally located at your service. The rocker switches are available although they are a slightly different style. The most difficult thing to find are the cover plates. Here is the link to the electrical supply that carries this stuff. I would suggest calling them to describe what you need.

RBM

In addition to RBM said, there are two wire switches and three wire switches. It just depends on the type of system that was originally installed. If you can only find three wire switches, you can just put a jumper from the common to one of the other terminals to make it work. I think that one brand name is Touchplate. Remcon makes replacements.

John Grabowski

Probably, the reason the plates are hard to get, is that the switch style, and therefore the plate cutouts, have been changed some time in the past. I put some of these relays/switches in my church in about 1986. These were the "old style" switches. When one failed, about 8 years ago, I had to replace the switch and the plate, as the old plate didn't fit the newer switches. BTW, last I looked, both switches and relays are available at electrical supply houses, but usually not all of them. I've never seen them at big box stores.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thnaks everyone. The G.E. low volatge 24v wiring system in my house is replaced with the following part#:

G.E. switch (single) - ivory RS2-32 Wall plate 1 gang, 1 switch - RP2-117

If you search/ask for these part numbers, it will lead you in the right direction for other configurations.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai