Heads up on Tesco value energy saving light bulbs

Just got back from doing the shopping at Tesco in Slough and spotted their own 'value' brand 15w energy saving lightbulbs at 34p each. That's cheaper than normal bulbs for god's sake. They're stated to have similar light output to a 75W soft white normal bulb. I bought five and I've just fitted one in a desk lamp and one in a 2 bulb chandelier next to a 100w incandescent to compare them. They light up instantly unlike those very early energy saving bulbs which took forever to warm up although it takes another 30 seconds for them to reach full output. I'd say they fire up at about 1/2 output which is plenty to see what you're doing if you just want to flick a light on in a dark room to check something for a second. I've still got a couple of 10 year old energy savers in the hall and landing which flicker for a second or two and then light up so slowly I have to stand still for a minute before starting down the stairs. Those are now getting chucked cos clearly they're never going to do the decent thing and die of their own accord. I think these things actually last forever. They cost about a fiver each too and that was when a fiver was actually worth a fiver.
I can't actually see any great difference in brightness between the Tesco 15W bulb and the 100W normal one next to it. If anything the energy saver is brighter. They're rated at 10,000 hours life so if they get anywhere near that they're about the biggest bargain of the year. The 100W bulb is now coming back out immediately and going into the stockpile. I just wish I'd bought 10 of the things instead of 5.
I'd been grumbling about the government banning incandescent bulbs but at 34p a shot for energy savers that last 10 times longer that's me converted. Better fill your boots before Tesco put the price up. I reckon I've been spending 10 a year on normal bulbs plus the much bigger electricity cost they've been wasting. They don't last very long and I usually buy packs of five and seem to need a new pack every couple of months.
I've just written a spreadsheet to see what these will save. If you have 5 bulbs on for 8 hours a day, swap 60W normal bulbs for these, normal bulbs cost 60p each and last 1000 hours and electricity is 12p a kWh you'll save 87 a year. 79 in electricity and 8 in bulb costs. For the whole country that's nearly 2 billion quid a year. Even more interesting, playing with the spreadsheet, your break even cost would be the same if the energy savers cost 60 a bulb. Anything less than that and you're winning. It rather puts into perspective the 5 a bulb these things have cost in the past and which has no doubt put many people off using them. At 34p each it's a no brainer.
--
Dave Baker

Mind you, I bought some of their 7W SES candle bulbs recently and they're dreadful. Enormously long warm-up times, the worst I've had in years.
Has anyone tried Screwfix's 5W candle bulbs? I need something less bright at the end (four in a bedroom chandelier) and with faster warmup.

for info - i got some ISTR 3w candles from toolstation for a picture light - they are a nice clean white but not fantastically quick to warm-up....
jim

Was I the only one who saw them when they were 1 each or 5 for 40p?
I got 10 bayonet cap and 10 screw cap for 1.60 total - even I'm prepared to go green at that price!
Al Reynolds

I think when I saw them at 34p each, 5 for 40p, makes me wonder what benefit Tesco are getting in return...
--
Kenny

writes

I bought some of their 34p bulbs with a two for one offer. So 17p each.
Also bought a carrier bag full of the 5 for 40p.
mark

When I was in there yesterday, their own label and GE ones were 5 for 40p while the Value ones were four times the price at 34p each.
Don't know whether there's any difference in quality but we've been using several of their own brand ones for a few months now and they're fine. A second or two to warm up but nothing troublesome.

I was being a little more cynical, LOL!
;-)
--
Kenny

writes

I think it must be some sort of extension to the subsidised loft insulation scheme that the government have being doing through the power companies.
If say the government spends 10 million subsidising low energy bulbs and this in turn enables them to defer the construction of a multi billion pound power station by a year or two then they are quids in.
Just a theory. No intention of setting the bullometers to full scale deflection!
mark
writes

It could be. . . Don't tesco supply gas and electricity?; in which case they may be doing their regulatory duty to promote energy saving measures across their shop shelves rather than by sending free CLF bulbs on request to customers.
Dave Baker wrote:

Let us know what they are like after a few weeks of use.

If only it was that easy! ;-)

Indeed, if cost were your objection...
--
Cheers,

John.

I wonder if the till receipt give the OP a seperate WEEE charge?
Adam

Utter and complete nonsense.
A 15W CFL is the equivalent of no more than a 60W tungsten bulb.

And not even that if you want to read under them and are more than 40 years old ...
Two visits ago, the hotel where I normally stay when I'm in Vegas, changed all of their room reading lights to CFLs. Now, it's impossible to read in the rooms at night.
I tried one in my bench light which normally uses a 60 watt incandescent. I struggled with it for two days, and then put the incandescent back in.
My wife has a cafe in a pretty old building. Doing her bit for the environment, she replaced the incandescent bulbs in the toilets with CFLs. This has resulted in the walls running with water and going mouldy, because the air in the rooms is no longer gently heated by the bulbs. The originals have gone back in ...
I think that once the government have managed to completely stop manufacture of incandescents, many people will begin to realise just what they have let go without so much as a whimper of objection. There are places where CFLs are just not appropriate. Plus the cheapos are nothing like as long-lived as they would have you believe, and are prone to generating huge amounts of RF pollution - that's interference to legitimate radio transmissions - when they go faulty.
To go back to the age thing, I'm not sure just what happens to the sensitivity of the human eye as it ages. I don't know whether the overall spectral sensitivity decreases, or whether the 'graph' of spectral sensitivity shifts. What I do know is that my 86 year old mother tried them in her house, and thought that she had gone blind. Her otherwise very good eyesight, which works fine in daylight and tungsten light, suffered very badly under CFLs. Be warned, you might just come to regret having submitted to this latest piece of government tinkering with our lives ... (:-\ }
Arfa
Arfa Daily wrote:

I think it is a bit of both - the sensitivity at the blue end diminishes leaving the image somewhat more yellow. Perhaps that fact that many CFLs lack red output and often have a green/yellow colour cast results in a situation where the overall contrast is reduced.
(might be interesting to see if the so called "daylight" CFLs are any better - since they have a more pronounced blue output (the verall colour rendition is still poor - but the contrast with yellowing vision ought to be better)

So how do we stop the buggers?
--
Cheers,

John.

"John Rumm" wrote

This calls for an independent select committee assessing the increase in the number of stair-way accidents in the home. Once the NHS cost of treating all the injuries caused by poor visibility becomes apparent, the real-world energy saving will be brought into perspective and incandescents will be welcomed back with open arms!
Phil
TheScullster wrote:

Use one piece of legislation to overcome another.
Not quite in the same category, but it's rather like what happened in the heavy snow of last week - the LAs were running out of salt to grit the roads, and yet the only factory producing it was shut down for a H&S inspection.
Who was calling the shots to say that more lives were at risk from unsalted roads that were at risk in the salt mine? No-one.
You couldn't make it up. Welcome to Broken Britain.

You have been reading the Daily Mail.

And the problem with that is ... ?? :-)
Arfa