New Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool

I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I don't understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut with the large blade? The manual is no help.

There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does not show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black caps in the sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?

Reply to
mcp6453

"mcp6453" wrote

When it stops making noise

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe if you posted a link to this tool from the Harbor Fright website, we could all see this tool and be able to help. Yes, brushes go in by those caps.near the rear of all modern power tools that come with the caps. It seems most power tools come with extra brushes now a days, which is good.

Reply to
parkavenue

Is that because they won't be making spare parts when you need them a few years down the line?

Or in this case, is there just no way to get them?

Reply to
Bob F

In the case of most of those off brand generic tools, you probably wont be able to get parts. They're throwaway tools. Most of those sold at Harbor Fright are just that. If you want GOOD tools, you'll pay a lot more, but will be able to get parts later on, and they will last longer. On the other hand, brushes for small tools are pretty much all the same, and likely available at motor repair shops and maybe larger hardware stores.

Your average homeowner buys cheap tools, while those in the business buy the good ones. Myself, for tools I use regularly, I have gotten the good ones, but for something I may use once or twice a year I get the cheapies.

Although I have a good name brand plug in angle grinder, I bought a cheap generic one last year at a business that travels around the country selling cheap tools. They do not have an actual store. I bought it just for a spare. (like when I dont want to change the wheel to a wire brush for one minute of use). I paid $13 for it. It ran very slow right from the start, worse yet, it lasted about 13 minutes (literally) before it completely went up in smoke. At a dollar a minute, it was no bargain. It did come with spare brushes though..... Too bad it didnt include a spare motor. I was NOTable to return it, and just tossed it in the garbage.

Since then I bought a Black and Decker one. B&D is not top of the line stuff, but at least I know I can return it and there is a warranty, even if it's not for real long.

Reply to
parkavenue

Buy the cheap tools as loaners.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No need for that. Virtually everybody on this group (as it turns out there may be one exception) knows the tool intimately.

Reply to
HeyBub

That would be me:-))

Lou

Reply to
LouB

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid:

Ya gotta get one Lou. Everybody needs to have something around from HF. The Malfunction Tool is like a membership card :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Once in a while, I'm trying out a new skill. Not sure if there is the customer base for this or that. Sometimes it's sensible to buy a cheap tool. If I use the tool often enough, I go buy the good tool later after a few jobs.

On the other hand, my 12 volt Drill Master drills are going strong after a couple years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No... me! I've not yet bought one. Not sure I've ever needed such a gadget. I said that about Dremel tool, and now find them totally useful. So....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL

I brought 4 toolboxes to Florida 3+ years ago. Two have never been opened and others hardly used. I do have a fifth "toolbox" which has screwdrivers, pliers etc for household maintenance. I bought a Dremal copy a while back and have yet to use it:-)) BUT I now know where the HF store in Ocala is so may go up during the "yard" sale.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

PS I have the little flashlight they give away. It is great:-))

Reply to
LouB

Sounds like you are in a retirement community near Orlando

Reply to
hrhofmann

Needs alkaline batteries, and a bit of grease on the tail cap threads. But other than that, yes, it's a great little light.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmgqck $i9n$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool vs a mid or high end unit.

Reply to
Red Green

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid:

Don't have one of those. Always forget the coupon when I go. Guess I need it for membership renewal.

Reply to
Red Green

I have one of those free flash lights. Worth every penny of it. Some grease on the tail cap threads, and some alkaline batteries. Works great.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re: "Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool"

And at $34.99 with the coupon, that's even more exactly why I'm going with the HF tool.

I love my Dremel, but I'm certainly into trying new things.

(I know it's not a one-to-one comparison)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmh5kt $72p$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Well I'm moving end of the month to a state that has no HF's. Better jump on it. Print coupon. Put in van.

Reply to
Red Green