Crown Moulding

Alternative to the suggestion of cutting the existing moulding (but more work), run the moulding around the casing w/ a mitered return...will accentuate the doors even further.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I was assuming it already would be if run to the ceiling...but if not, this is precisely my suggestion...great minds and all that, undoubtedly... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What looks good is to change the top door casing to a flat (3/4 pine) casing. If you are that close to the ceiling the crown is going to cover most of the casing anyway. Then just miter the crown around the casing. Treat it as an inside/outside/outside/inside corner.

Reply to
calhoun

The ceiling is 8 feet high in the foyer leading into a sunken living room with a 9 foot ceiling. When they remodeled it they wanted the increased height and it gives it a nice open look compared to identical homes in the neighborhood. So I would prefer not to drop the top casing and lower the door height.

Harvey Louzon

Personally I'd probably skip the crown in that room but if it has to be, replacing the colonial casing with straight 1X and going around it would probably be the best bet. (as someone else said earlier)

If the door's head jamb is only 2 1/4" from the ceiling (normal colonial casing width) then the crown better be pretty small or it's going to look kind of silly.

Another option woudl be to use the 1X and then notch the crown around the casing. This would raise the bottom edge of the crown for the notched section above the door a little and might help.

Reply to
John/Charleston

I picked up some crown moulding this weekend.

Unfortunately, I could not get a piece for one round corner. All of my other corners are square. Can I just square the round corner off, and apply putty/paint in that empty space? Will it look OK?

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

There is molding made from flexible material that will wrap on curves. Or you can turn a custom piece on your lathe.

Reply to
Phisherman

If the space to be filled is not too large, less than 1 inch or so, I would us some sort of filler that is non-shrinkable. If it is larger, then maybe some of the "foam in a can", removing the excess and finishing off the surface with "mud".

Reply to
hrhofmann

An outside corner or inside corner?

Sample outside:

Oren

Thanks for this bit of info. The space will be quite small.

Reply to
Kate

but it is not available. Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Would the sample above not work in your case. The two pieces you see at the corner might be cut at 22.5 °. Check the angle on the wall.

Test and play with a couple of small pieces until you get it frog hair close.

Many homes here have the bull nose (round) corner bead and this gets around the corner using these cuts.

What kind of saw are you using for cutting the crown? Maybe you have a "kit" type install (just square cuts and corner pieces)?

Reply to
Oren

Kate wrote in news:hmfqno$l5f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

I just saw this done on a HGTV show. Which one? gah!

Did some googling

TD

That particular piece would not work, but you did give me an idea. I will shop around and see if something else would work.

I think it is a mitre saw, but not positive. A friend will be helping me with this.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Kate

This group is so informative. This gives me even more ideas. Thanks for taking the time to research this for me.

Reply to
Kate

T,

Those links do not apply for the task at hand. How much crown have you installed using cut kerfs on the backside? Did it break getting around a corner? Inside or outside?

Reply to
Oren

If you can find *other* corner pieces (another brand) that has both inside and outside corners just exchange what you have. Something like this style?

Oren