Wing mirrors on cars

And new cars would be more expensive. Car manufacturer's income has to come from *somewhere*.

Plus administration of the spares operation, employing the people that run it, maintaining the spares catalogue and supercession information. I wrote some software once to help maintain the Ford UK spare parts catalogue and it was a nightmare. I'm actually surprised they provide spares for as long as they do.

Reply to
Huge

I suppose Honda engines being weak is why Civics get souped up to within an inch of their lives

boltar

But not how to prevent them being stolen easily. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's no such thing as "waste" energy in the exhaust. If you put something in the exhaust you increase the back pressure which the engine then has to work against using more fuel and reducing power. Why do you think straight through exhausts are the norm in racing? Turbos only work because the amount of power they use is far exceeded by the extra power they can help the engine generate by shoving more air in.

The only time you get free energy from the exhaust is on the overrun and you wouldn't be wanting to generate any more power then anyway.

Reply to
boltar

Lets hope no one is following him down the motorway when that cheap POS fails and his wheel comes off.

Its probably the way he fixed his Honda engine too. The one he's accusing of being unreliable.

Reply to
boltar

Tata couldn't build a decent vehicle if their lives depended on it. They bought that expertise when they bought JLR. Which is a bit more honest than the chinese approach which is to simply copy it - badly.

Reply to
boltar

Its not cheap to produce, warehouse, and distribute lots of parts. A £5 part may cost ~£1 in storage costs a year.

The big problem with car spares is the assemblies they come in as manufacturers don't expect "mechanics" to have the skills to fix things these days, that and the fact they don't have to keep as many parts in expensive warehouses.

Its the assemblies that are expensive when a fix by someone that can do it might be pence.

Reply to
dennis

It doesn't matter anyway as the tester is required to check the warning lamp works and fail the car if it doesn't. They have a list of cars that they have to check the warning lights on as part of the test.

JWS is just talking BS like he always does.

Reply to
dennis

My last diesel didn't smell and it didn't smoke. The fuel stank when you filled it. People running on illegal fuel tend to smell of perfume as that's one way the gov can detect them.

I will probably buy a diesel next time because they only do a diesel in the model I want. It will not be any worse on emissions than a similar petrol engine.

Reply to
dennis

The vast majority I get stopped behind in a London traffic jam do smell.

The majority also smoke badly if pushed hard after a period of gentle use. Like at the start of a motorway, after leaving a town.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They may have gotten cheated if they thought they were getting much expertise. I've been out of touch with British cars for a long time but back in the day Jags weren't known for their reliability.

It's a different situation but India appears to be doing okay with the Royal Enfield although they stumbled with the Himalayan.

Reply to
rbowman

Is off road diesel dyed in the UK? In the US if it's red it better be in your farm tractor.

Reply to
rbowman

It is and if you get caught using it you could lose your car and get a criminal record. However the chances of a customs check on Mr Average's car are virtually zero though I imagine they still spot check trucks and farmers cars from time to time.

Reply to
boltar

They filter the dye out.

Reply to
dennis

There was an exception to this rule. In 2000 or 2001, when there were fuel shortages on the forecourts due to strikes at the refineries (?), an exemption was granted for road vehicles to use red diesel, as long as it was for the shortest period of time until white diesel became available again. If your tank was dipped or your engine was examined for chemical markers in red diesel, you couldn't be prosecuted at that time. Once the strike was over, the full weight of the law was then applied.

I believe some of the chemical markers in red diesel last "forever" in the engine, so they show if red diesel has *ever* been used. I may be wrong about this, but it's what I was told once on a Customs and Excise stand at the NEC Motor Show.

Reply to
NY

You have missed out the important bit that you were supposed to declare how much you red diesel you had put in a vehicle and then pay the duty owed to bring it the cost it would have been if available as white. Then if later traces of Red were found in a tank you would have evidence as to why it had been there legitimately.

G.Harman.

Reply to
damduck-egg

People who do that have to rebore regularly anyway.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No point in putting in a part that will outlast the car.

-- =

Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink= , the young bachelor said, "Say when." She replied, "Right after that drink."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You get adequate warning. The last one was making a racket for over a y= ear.

No, that was done professionally, and cost a couple of grand.

-- =

What should you do if your girlfriend starts smoking during sex? Slow down and use a lubricant.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When I can get a part for under =A350, I don't see the point in paying f= or labour to fix the old one.

-- =

At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where lit= tle boys and girls go when they do bad things?" "Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church y= ard."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword