Wing mirrors on cars

Its not new car buyers that matter - its how long the owners down the line decide to keep it maintained or just sell it for scrap. My car will be 10 years old this year and touch wood its not had any major problems and I want to keep it because its the best car I've ever owned. However if it gets to the point where I'm having to pay megabucks to keep it on the road then I may wave it goodbye despite probably 99% of the vehicle still being perfectly roadworthy.

No idea.

The bloat of car weight seems to be coming to a halt. However they're still getting slightly bigger each time there's a new model version for whetever reason. Used to be that there was a large size difference between european and american cars, now - except for a few massive SUVs and pickups - there's almost no difference.

Reply to
boltar

Straight sixes are perfectly balanced. Its probably why they're the default engine configuration for heavy vehicles.

Diesels will never sound particularly good, though the engines in vans seem designed to sound as obnoxious as possible.

Reply to
boltar

Depends on the price of a suitable replacement + hassle incurred at the end of the day. I imagine everyone has a different point at which they think "sod it , time for it to go".

Reply to
boltar

And therein is the tale

A decent luxury car will cost you £300 a month on contract hire. Or about £3600 per annum maintenece and depreciation wiill be similar.

But a 10 year old car can probably be kept bang up to the mark for £1500 p.a.

And won't cost much to buy. And has finished its depreciation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get an automatic, the right gear will be selected for you. Manuals are outdated technology and should no longer exist.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've never had to replace or repair a turbo. I once heard some young lads discussing a f***ed turbo, but they'd been driving it to it's limits.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's very easy to pass an MOT with a failed ABS. Remove the warning bul= b. The tester does no more than make sure there's no warning lamp on.

And usually you can repair the ABS anyway by buying a new sensor for abo= ut =A35-=A310.

-- =

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the f*ck ha= ppened.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

=A31500 a year? WTF? I can buy a =A3500 car and spend =A3200 a year to= keep it going for 5 years. That's =A3300 total ownership cost per year= . I love morons that buy new cars and sell them to me at a fraction of = the cost, just because the ash tray is full.

-- =

"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But the Boxster 6 is a boxer. ;-)

You can never disguise the sound of a diesel outside of the car - although some do a remarkable job inside it.

My dislike of them is based on the stink they all produce. Regardless of what they claim, emissions wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the problem. A spare part costs the same regardless of the age of the car - unless being sold off cheap due to excess stocks. So becomes a much bigger percentage of the car's value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remove the bulb? When did you last buy a car, 1985? The "bulb" will at minimum be a soldered in LED on a circuit board and these days there'll be a warning on the information screen too. Feel free to remove that if you wish!

As with most car repairs, buying the parts isn't the hard part.

Reply to
boltar

What's so bad about it?

Bullshit, they smell better than petrol fumes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Spare parts cost f*ck all. I bought a wheel bearing for =A39. It's the= =A350 labour to fit it that's the problem. If you or your friend can d= o it yourself, it's not a problem.

-- =

I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My current car is a 2002 reg. Simple enough to take out the ABS LED. Yes, there's also a "service required" on the LCD display that accompanied it, but that's not an MOT failure.

An ABS sensor takes anyone without any mechanical knowledge 30 minutes to fit. It just bolts on.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So you converted it to run on an inappropriate fuel and somehow thats the fault of Hondas build quality? Yeah, ok. What next , complain when your diesel breaks down when you fill it with unleaded?

Reply to
boltar

Yes, was thinking of BMW for some reason. I think they're the last major car manufacturer to sell inline 6's.

They can be nasty, especially if not maintained.

Reply to
boltar

It was professionally converted and it proves the engine wasn't very strong, since other makes worked just fine.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

BMW aren't exactly renowned for cutting edge tech.

And petrol isn't? The stench of petrol is revolting. Diesel smells nice, never enjoyed waiting in a large train station while several trains set off?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The Natural Philosopher

It's amazing anyone buys those unreliable badly designed things. The parent company, Rover, went bankrupt years ago. My neighbour's car is a top of the range Rover. The headlight switch is in a non standard position, I had to ask her where it was. Then when I tried to reverse it, I found the rear window was a third of the normal height and I had no visibility.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword