Wing mirrors on cars

If it was a professional conversion the engine wouldn't have died or they'd have known at the start not to do it. Either way, I suspect you got it done by some Kev in a local lock up who wouldn't know one end of a gas bottle from the other and probably didn't realise that the variable valve timing probably required adjusting for a different fuel.

Reply to
boltar

Could well be, but as you say a classic configuration. Although not so easy to package as that abortion, the V6.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of garages refused because "Honda engines are made of softer metal and the valves can melt". This one though said that they could supply an additive which lubricated them so it would be ok. I believe the problem was the additive system wasn't too reliable so it didn't always get as much as it should. But both the garages that refused and the one that did it go to prove that Honda engines are weak and need special care when converting, others don't need that additive rubbish.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What was wrong with a V6?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I know that a 4-cylinder boxer is perfectly balanced, like 2- and 6-cylinder inline, and so doesn't need any dynamic balancing shafts. Does the same apply to a 6-cylinder boxer?

For all that 4-boxers are supposed to be well balanced, the one in my dad's Citroen GS sounded VERY rough. Maybe it was because it was a high-revving and low-geared car...

Reply to
NY

Ever tried a 3 cylinder petrol? I got one and thought it was a diesel the noise it made!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I drove a 3-cylinder petrol Polo and that was fine in steady driving but very rough on acceleration. It was a loan car while my diesel was in for servicing, and it was far noisier.

Reply to
NY

I had a 3 cylinder Vauxhall Corsa (1 litre). Not particularly powerful but it was light, so I could overtake the old codgers. I didn't notice any roughness, it just sounded like I was driving an underpowered diesel. The stupid thing about it though was.... it had 5 seats. But place 5 average sized adults in it and it would hit the bottom of the suspension.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Most of the time it's recovering waste energy from the exhaust, and the supercharger part of the system is doing nothing. As I said, best with a hybrid driveline. You don't often need all that boost, but it's there when you want it. The system losses in a motor-generator pair will be under 20%, and may well be made up by better load matching.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And it is the ridiculously high price of spare parts that is the problem! If they were available on a simple cost plus basis with a reasonable profit, rather than a ludicrous mark-up of many hundreds of percent, repairs of older vehicles would be more viable.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ever tried Ebay?

Wheel bearing for my car from the local motor factor that supplies my ga= rage: =A350. Ordered online form a car parts supplier: =A335. Ordered from Ebay: =A39.

Which do you think I used?

-- =

I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

New car buyers certainly don't care. But they do matter. Because they feed the market down the line. Given the number of cars more than 10 years old and low second hand prices, I suggest cars are mostly scrapped because of supply, not because of cost of parts.

Some years ago, I sold a car that was 11 years old. Nothing fundamentaly wrong but I had had it for 10 years and fancied a change. Three more MOTs show up, covering 50K. Failures only recorded some minors, brake balance and ball joints. Looks like a pretty fair whack to me.

It might be worth a lot to you but at 10 years old the market says it's worth pocket money.

Good news. The Peugeot 208 is actually slightly narrower than the 207. Old American cars coming out for a bit of exercise on summer Sundays actually look quite small by today's standards.

Reply to
TMS320

If it can be heard, it can't be sweet (except perhaps a Merlin from a respectable distance). Turbos do a brilliant job of helping to smooth out the noise.

Reply to
TMS320

But surely most essential spares are available from sources other than the car maker?

Slow moving spares are different. But then storing them for perhaps many years ain't cheap either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

But very few layouts are perfectly balanced. An inline 6 has torsional imbalance at higher revs due to crank and cam lengths - hence the fitment of a vibration damper to the crank.

Think you have to go to a V12 to get theoretical perfect balance.

Boxer engines tend to have uneven firing pulses. Hence the characteristic exhaust note.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I once had an Alfasud. Compared to the GS it had a water jacket to help. It had reviewers creaming their jeans about how it would rev to the sky without realising it but I never got that; go past 5k and it was pretty obvious what was happening, as in any engine I have ever come across. Though I will give it credit that with the wick turned down for cruising it could sit at 4500rpm pretty comfortably.

Reply to
TMS320

Compared to the acrid stench our 'oxygenated' gasoline produces, the smell of diesel is like walking through a field of spring wildflowers.

Reply to
rbowman

The Chinese knock-off made of a cheap alloy resembling steel?

Reply to
rbowman

Tata owns Jaguar Land Rover now. Your former colony know how to build vehicles.

Reply to
rbowman

storage costs money, not only in terms of warehouse space but in capital tied up. That why Dennis, the fire engine makers, went bust. Lotus Cars had a sale of all their spares, but would send you a manufacturing drawing if you asked nicely.

Reply to
charles