Wing mirrors on cars

That is part of the reason that I went for the rear camera option. I have neck and shoulder problems, and since I have no vision in the left eye I have to twist a very long way round when reversing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Depends on how the mirrors are adjusted. There is a place where an overtaking car is almost beside you but not in your peripheral vision where they aren't in the mirror. I hate it when someone is passing you on the freeway and taking three days to do so. I know they're over there but I can't see them.

Reply to
rbowman

I've spent too much time in vehicles where turning around didn't buy you anything. Even with a commercial van all you're going to see is the inside of the van. It's mirrors or nothing.

Reply to
rbowman

+1. I don't even think about turning around.
Reply to
rbowman

I remember having that on one of my cars, maybe the Lincoln. The rest had nothing.

Reply to
rbowman

doesn't. "good" cars still have mirrors!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Supposedly the model/year I have doesn't have the tattletale. I'm sure as hell not going to install the gps/smartphone system that my insurance company tells me will reduce my premium.

Reply to
rbowman

A few years back my insurance company was experimenting with them. They paid me $400 to have one installed for 90 days. For the most part it was no big deal but on one stretch of highway to and from work I avoided triple digits though. I probably should have anyway just to blow their minds.

No way would I have one all the time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Likewise. There is a breed of driver who will approach your car at a significantly higher speed that you, so you see them grow in your mirror and you anticipate how long it will take until they have passed you and you can pull out behind them - but they then mess things up by slowing down to the same speed as you, sitting in your blind spot for ages, before finally accelerating again and getting past.

It applies particularly to cars which are overtaking articulated trucks: I often find that I'm in the overtaking lane, following another car that is about to overtake a truck. We are doing about 70; the truck is doing about

60 - perfect, we'll be past soon. Suddenly the car in front slows from 70 to about 61 (often with fairly sharp braking) as it reaches the rear end of the truck. It then sits there, taking several years to pass the truck, before accelerating back up to 70 as it passes the front of truck's cab. WTF is that all about? I know from bitter experience that trucks occasionally pull out when cars are alongside them (presumably because they haven't checked that they are clear to pull out) so I like to get past as quickly as possible so I'm alongside them in the "danger zone" for as little time as possible.

On a 3-lane road, it's no great problem because if the car in front plays silly buggers like this, I can overtake him in Lane 3. But on a 2-lane road, there's no chance of doing that - and some of the major roads in the UK (the A1 "Great North Road" from London to Edinburgh is a good example) are 2-lane for a lot of the route, in sections that still haven't been upgraded to

3-lane motorway.
Reply to
NY

How do you turn the page?

Reply to
Tony Dragon

Start weaving (within your lane of course) and they'll move.  ;-)

Reply to
Bob
[58 lines snipped]

Trained squirrels.

Reply to
Huge

.

Those foreigners on the West side of the Atlantic don't have the problem of Truck drivers driving LHD drive vehicles on the left hand side of the road like we in the UK do, if a truck is showing European plates especially eastern ones then it is best to treat it like a lunatic holding a hand grenade and spend as little time as possible in its vicinity and get past as their blind spots are much larger. I found a second line of defence was a horn loud enough to be heard over the trucks engine and Hungarian gypsy music CD and imported a US Leslie 5 chime railroad horn in the early days of ebay and stuck it on the roof of the van to avoid unwanted attention,it was semi hidden by a casing that was formerly part of a van refrigeration unit.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Indeed.

I've wondered on occasion that if trains in the UK had proper horns like US trains which can be heard from miles away instead of the aneamic whistles or car horns a lot of ours seem to have which can barely be heard 500m away, there might be fewer incidents at level crossings.

Reply to
boltar

So how is the driver aware of the phenomenon if he is never a passenger, and not polite enough to hold the door open for a passenger?

Why don't drivers sue on the basis that they aren't aware?

Reply to
Max Demian

People who live near level crossings (or anywhere in a couple of miles radius) may not take too kindly to trains sounding a loud horn as they approach every level crossing. I remember staying with my sister in a small town north of Boston and the train sounded its VERY loud horn at every crossing in a long 20-second blast which drove the locals mad.

I think normal wig-wag lights are perfectly good enough, supplemented by a normal two-tone horn just before the train reaches the crossing. The big problem is footpaths which cross a line on the level, because they don't have lights and you have to rely on hearing the singing of the rails and the driver's horn.

Reply to
NY

I buzz a brick at it, and if I hit the book just right, the page turns.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which phenomenon?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You wrote nothing above you nitwit. Try typing before hitting send.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The phenomenon that, "Things seen in this mirror look further way than they really are."

Reply to
Max Demian