Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank? (2023 Update)

Why? The questions weren't asked when he bought the house. If asked, "It must be mine, it was there when I bought the house and no one has ever told me otherwise." No lies. He's probably blown that argument now, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Wow. That's high. Propane is propane. There is no tax involved (we have to sign a tax form saying we're not reselling it).

If you bring a tank over to my place, I'll sell it to you at my cost! :)

Here, by the way, are *my* historical prices, based on being in this coop (which is a no brainer since the coop only costs $15 per year).

These are the prices we're charged in the coop, going back to 1999:

Alex Gunderson

...making sure they fill on the peaks and buy on the valleys. ;-) My gas (and oil company before that) would never fill in the summer when the prices were the lowest. They'd wait until the fall and then make sure it was topped off in the Winter. Of course in the winter I was using 175gal (oil), or so, every three weeks. They had to. :-(

Reply to
krw

So you're finally coming to the obvious conclusion.

From that day on. It would be difficult to back-charge you, without an agreement in hand.

Right. They would have no leverage. They have no knowledge, now, an even better situation for you to be in. Keep it that way. STFU.

Why are you so paranoid?

Reply to
krw

Wow. You're paying a huge markup because propane is propane so cheaper is better. Your prices are strange. I wonder what *other* people are paying for propane this month?

Normally we're screwed here in California so I'm surprised we're cheaper. Almost never is it the other way around. For example, here are the state's gasoline prices:

But, more to the point, here are the state's propane prices:

I get a discount off those prices because I'm in this coop:

The coop tells us: "Propane companies buy gas at wholesale from the big suppliers at the wholesale rate, called the Warren posting, which is published. We pay that published wholesale cost + a markup of 56 cents per gallon."

You seem to be paying a HUUUUUGE markup, of dollars per gallon. :(

Reply to
Alex Gunderson

Right! However, the other side of the same coin is that an agent of the company now knows it's their tank so it would be impossible for them to back-charge any rent (not that they would anyway), a this point. Do nothing.

Reply to
krw

Probably not. Stuff that's screwed to the wall is considered removable. Stuff that's nailed (or glued) is considered permanent. I doubt that either matters if the mirror never belonged to the owner, though.

Reply to
krw

This is true.

Here's what it would cost me, in the coop, to BUY a new tank:

Our coop contract seems to be $1,000 for a 500-gallon tank (i.e., $2 a gallon) or $1,600 for a 1,000-gallon tank (i.e., $1.60 a gallon).

That's just about the current price of propane (currently at around $2 per gallon):

Note: That's just the tank cost, delivered to my door.

Interestingly, the economics of owning a huge propane tank is, in one respect, about the same math ratio as owning a portable gasoline container, which costs about the same as it would hold in gasoline.

BTW, when I called earlier today, they quoted me prices that were more than double those contractual numbers above, so, it serves me right for asking the propane company anything about their prices. Sheesh.

Reply to
Alex Gunderson

I'm sorry for not being explicit with the details.

To be clear, I called them out to inspect the BBQ setup, and they scheduled the inspection about two weeks ago for two days ago.

The guy who came out *already* had the serial number on his sheet of paper. So, he knew beforehand the serial number and the address (which makes sense since it's always been the same for this company).

That he matched that to the other company database is my guess; but it would seem to be easy to match up the static address with the just as static serial number.

He told me the tank was owned by them.

When I looked surprised, I noticed he looked at his sheet, and then he walked over to the tank and looked at the serial number on the tank.

He then made a notation on the sheet that he needed to check things out because I said I owned it and he had already said that I didn't.

I haven't heard back from him yet though ... (and at this point, I hope I never do!). :)

Reply to
Alex Gunderson

BTW, I found an old chart, for 2010, where the prices were higher:

Alex Gunderson

You're right. I already told them way too much. I should have just kept my mouth shut when the guy had the serial number.

Sigh.

And, if they ever find this thread ...

Reply to
Alex Gunderson

In hind sight, I should have shut up.

Maybe I've even said too much in this thread.

Reply to
Alex Gunderson

Alex Gunderson wrote in news:l250t7$dgb$38 @solani.org:

I was wondering about the very large amount of time you are obviously spending on this. At first I thought that you might be retired with a lot of time on your hands. Now I understand. You are at work, stealing your employer's time. Do you work for a government agency?

Reply to
JoeBro

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:51:50 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote in Re Re: Who actually owns this

1,000 gallon propane tank?:

You must live in Ohio.

Reply to
CRNG

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 03:19:31 +0000 (UTC), Alex Gunderson wrote in Re Re: Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?:

This look suspicious.

Reply to
CRNG

But do they have any paperwork backing it up? As of now, it seems like you can say (just as loudly) that you own it and your paperwork is at least equal to their's as far as can be seen from afar.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Which would make me believe that they can't back up any indication that they own it. Why else would they ask that question instead of just saying here it is.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The answer is 42.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The part about "no one has ever told me otherwise" would be a lie. He stated that a worker for the company was there couple days ago, looked up the serial # of the tank on their database and said that it shows up as being the tank of Company X along his address as the location Company X was his the gas supplier to the former owner and has now been bought by the current company.

But otherwise, I think we're pretty much on the same page. No need to go get a new tank, start asking too many questions, etc. Just keep doing what he's been doing and see what, if anything happens next.

Reply to
trader4

You're conflating two different time periods. The first was in 2010 when he bought the house. The gas company he chose, which is the company he still has, is *not* the one the previous owner was using. So, the new company shows up and asks who's tank it is. He tells them it's his and I doubt each company has a database of all the other company's tanks and locations. They can't prove who owns or doesn't own it, so that's why they ask the question of who owns it and they accepted his word.

His current gas company later bought the previous gas company. So, presumably they now have that former company's database of tanks. The other day, a worker was there for service and while there he told him that his tank shows up in their database as being owned by the former company and located at his address. Presumbably they also have the records of the former company too, which would be what would clearly establish that they own it. If it comes to it, then I agree he should demand to see proof. But I think we all agree for the time being, he should just wait and see.

Reply to
trader4