Who owns a Direct Tv Dish? (the company or the home owner)

I have a rental property. The tenants moved out and left a Direct Tv satellite dish on the house. Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of myself (the landlord). These tenants moved a year ago. They keep calling me and saying they want their satellite dish. I have made them aware that they no longer own the thing, and if they attempt to remove it, I will have them prosecuted for trespassing and theft (they left on very bad terms, owing rent money, etc).

Yesterday I was doing some work on the building and I removed the dish, and brought it home with me. First off, I dont want it hanging on the house for no reason, secondly, I dont have to deal with these idiots calling me anymore, and third, I may be able to sell it, "IF" they become property of the homeowner........ That's where my question arises. Are these rented from the Direct Tv company, or do the homeowner (user) buy them? I dont want to sell it if it belongs to the company. Otherwise it goes in my scrap metal pile....

Thanks

Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey

...snip

They are part of an equipment package provided by DirectTV in exchange for a specified contract. Technically, it would belong to the company if the renters did not complete the terms of their contract.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I purchased a dish and receiver in a big box store years ago.

I seriously doubt DTV would want to "mess" with the old stuff. Rupert is busy :-)

-- Oren

Oren

Yup; I agree.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Just call DD and ask them if they want it. That way you dont have to deal with the hassle. Let DD handle it.

I dont think you can withhold it in lieu of money owed. If there is a renters association where you are call them. Ask them what the laws in your area say.

Reply to
coffee

We could always ask OJ. He paid DTV/Rupert 34K for the hacked cards :)

-- Oren

Oren

He didn't give that as justification for keeping the dish. He had written, "Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of myself (the landlord)."

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Basic rule in real property: If a tenant attaches something to the property (like a fence), it becomes the property of the property owner.

Say your tenants installed a central air conditioning system on which they still owed money. Yours? Theirs? or the HVAC companies?

The HVAC company has a legal action against the renter, not you. The renter has a claim against you, but, in lieu of principle #1 above, it doesn't amount to much.

Reply to
HeyBub

My leases had an "abandonment" clause, after X days.

-- Oren

Oren

For all practical and legal purposes, it's now yours. Sell it, give it away, scrap it, try to give it back to Direct TV, whatever you want.

Reply to
Abe

dish network owns the LNBs, and receivers, everything else is low value and stays with the home

Reply to
hallerb

They give them away for free. From what I understand if you don't have a card that has a valid subscription, they won't work anyway.

You might be able to find someone that knows how to hack them, but I don't think the boxes are worth much un hacked.

Reply to
Terry

Cards will not; also, transcend receivers - memory/EPROM. The card is a real computer. Initialize it and it writes to the card - associates a receiver to a card, thus subscription.

They gave millions of dishes away.

-- Oren

Oren

Take another peek at the subject line and get back to us on that. I don't believe Dish owns anything mentioned here in this case.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

my point is that i have specific knowledge of dish having used to be a dealer, and direct is likely the same. the dishes are low priced cheap, and as such companies dont care, return and refurbish will cost more than a new one, and who would want a used dish on their home?

Reply to
hallerb

I am NOT an attorney (although I often play one in saloons when I've had enought to drink).

Your tenant made a leasehold improvement. Unless there is a written agreement to the contrary, the improvement belongs to you. Direct TV certainly knows this and probably doesn't care as they would hope the next tenant will subscribe. OTOH your former tenants may be being dunned by DT for not skipping out and need the box to avoid some payment.

Call DT and get the straight scoop.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

really loves it."

or......Hard work never killed anyone, but why take chances? :)

Reply to
Terry

Apparently I'm missing something. Please explain how by removing the dish, this keeps them from calling you.

Reply to
Kirk R.

Quote "Who owns a Direct Tv Dish?"

Reply to
Meat Plow

I'm not any attorney...hehe..... (more like h.s. student), but my uncle and Grandpa are, and my uncle was reading this almost out loud a minute ago, from behind my chair to my Grandpa for old-time-sake laughs...hehe.. AND he claims that "if" you gave ANY kind of prior WARNING of this item being left behind and THEY did NOT respond, they have pretty much GIVEN-UP ALL RIGHTS to such property. Especially if they have been informed of leaving such property in person by mail, E-mail, msgr, or attorney. If more than once, he claims, they have undoubtedly given up any property claim.

He says, UNLESS he has been paying satellite receiving bill for that item (by serial) this WHOLE time, he has made it the property of anyone who claims it, just as if left in garbage, street side.

Dunno if that helps any...doubtful..., but I'm sure the bill would be devastatingly higher in person...lol....

He only asks what "exact" U.S. state or territory you are in (USA, CANADA,U.K.,RU., ETC,..) to be "absolutely" positive. He's telling me what to type, or atleast watching over this one...lol...

Joey near N.E. FL(USA)

Reply to
SyKoTaBoY