Yard Light dont turn on in Cold weather

I have a mercury vapor (farm) yard light on a pole. It always works fine in warm weather, but once the temperature gets below about 40deg., it dont always turn on. However if I flip the circuit breaker off and back on, the light works. Last winter it started doing this most irritating thing. I bought a new bulb thinking the bulb was failing. Before I got the bulb replaced, the weather warmed up and it has worked non-stop all spring and summer, so I never replaced the bulb. Now the weather is getting cool and it's once again not working every night, until I flip the breaker. Last night we barely had frost and the light would not come on till I flipped the breaker. What the heck is causing this? I know there are only 3 parts, the bulb, ballast, and sensor. But which would be affected by temperature?

Reply to
alvinamorey

on 10/12/2007 6:07 PM snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com said the following:

The MV lamp itself. Require a maximum warm-up period of five to seven minutes before giving full light output, depending on lamp type, ballast and ambient temperature. They can be used only where this delay is acceptable

willshak

You could have a bad or wrong value capacitor. Here's a link to a PDF file on troubleshooting HID fixtures:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas