Satellite dish pointing at roof....

Hi,
A strange question....
I have had new aerials and sat dish installed by a local guy who turned up in a sky emblazened van so assume he is one of their subcontractors. I didn't have a box to test the dish but the aerials seem fine.
Anyway, I have borrowed a sky box to test the dish and it doesn't work. Cutting a long story short, after a bit of investigation, the dish is pointing straight into my roof. When I went back to the fitter, he said "it rides the roof. that wouldn't be the problem". Can this be true?
On a sky+ box I get no reception and on a normal sky box get around 1 block (say 20%).
Any help appreciated.
thanks
Lee.

As far as I know - not being an expert - with a satellite dish, you have to have completely unobstructed line of sight to the satellite. This is about 30 deg above the horizon, more or less to the south - you can get the exact location at various places on the net.
No doubt someone else will come along with the exact answer.
The reason I know this, I had a question/investigation about the siting of my dish when moving into a new house recently.
Barb

Remember that probably you have an offset dish, which looks higher than you might expect.
http://www.dishpointer.com/ shows the correct direction and elevation.
However if the receivers that you are using work elsewhere then I would ask the fitter to return.
--
Michael Chare

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:42:47 -0000, Michael Chare wrote:

If it's a sky minidish then it will be an offset type.

Or check that the dish easily catches full sun at about 10 past 10 GMT. That will check azimuth but not elevation. But as we are only just past the equinox the sun will only be a little above the satellite constellation at that time.
--
Cheers
Dave.

thanks all for your replies. The dish I have is sort of ovalish with a quad LNB if that helps. When I say the dish is pointing to my roof, the ridge of the roof is a couple of feet higher than the top of the dish with the slope about 2' away..
Lee Nowell wrote:

A picture would be a big help. As others have said, the angle of reception isn't necessarily the obvious direction that the dish is pointing.
(uk.tech.digital-tv added to groups)
Tim
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:12:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Er, I think you will find the equinox is still several days away. ;-)
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:36:26 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Er, yeah, wasn't very awake yesterday morning. I'd looked at a sun outage calculator and that had the outage for Astra 2D about a week ago. So what I said about the sun being above the position at that time does still apply.
--
Cheers
Dave.

No, it can't. It's a complete fabrication or a complete misunderstanding on his behalf.
As correctly pointed out elsewhere here, there needs to be an unobstructed path from the dish to the satellite. A dish might be "offset" by ten or fifteen degrees or so, so the angle that the dish is actually squinting at will be that 10-15 degs higher than it first appears to be "looking" at.
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/Antenna/offset_dish.gif
It sounds like your dish installer either made a mistake or didn't bother or the thing's gone and slipped on its mount and is now trying to peer through the roof of your house rather than looking over the top of it.
DDS
Lee Nowell formulated on Wednesday :

We used to have analogue Sky, with its dish at the front - then when they went digital the SKY fitter replaced the old dish with new in the same location. We soon found it didn't work very well, because in that location due to the slightly different satellite position, it was looking at the sat through the eaves and gutters. So I would suggest that at least some of the dish and antenna fitters might not be the sharpest tools in the box.
I moved it temporarily to the rear, just to prove box and dish were not at fault and called them back to fit it properly.
Unlike antennas, height of the dish does not matter - they work just as well on the ground, but they do need to have an absolutely clear view of the sky. Even leaves on a tree can severally affect reception.
It is not that difficult to get it right - get the installer back.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Jointly?

Hi Lee. Mini dishes have an offset focus. They look as if they are aimed at the horizon, but in fact they are receiving signals from satellites about 22deg above the horizon. (+/- a degree or so, depending on where you are in the UK) So the question you need to ask yourself is this If you imagine a string stretched out from the bottom of your dish at an angle of 22deg from horizontal will the roof or wall be in its way?
All this is a bit academic, as you have told us it doesn't work. Whatever the reason, you need to get the installer back.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%