Satellite Dish Move

I need to move my Sky satellite dish to make way for a new conservatory.

I was wondering if realigning them following a move is difficult?

I had a quote of £40 to do this, which is probably not extortionate, but I'd rather keep hold of my money.

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

It's not impossible, you can use the signal strength and signal quality bar graphs on the Sky box set up menu. However these are rather slow to react, so you need to move the dish, and wait a few seconds. It would obviously be preferable to bring a portable TV outside so you can look at the screen the same time as adjusting ! Once you've got a signal back (signal quality is more important than strength), place a damp tea-towel over the LNB to reduce the signal, that way it is easier to 'peak' up the adjustments. Be aware that the signal strength meter in the 'consumer' menu only looks at one frequency. Check reception of channels that are in low band (BBC and ITV)and lower power channels on the Eurobird satellite (that is almost co-located with the Astra sats that most Sky platform channels use). Eurobird channels include EuroNews on Ch 528. You can check any transponder and frequency by resorting to the installer's hidden menu

Don't extend the cable, if you can replace the entire length with a new run (Cable grade CT-100). If you must join it, use F-Type plugs and a coupler, if the join is outside wrap the whole thing in self-amalgamating tape. You also need to use this on the connection to the LNB :-

See

more detailed help and advice have a lurk in uk.tech.tv.sky and the Sky FAQ

all else fails, get a man in (NOT Sky) it's a very easy job for any reputable dealer, coz they'll use a meter to adjust the dish in a jiffy.

40 quid sounds about right to me.
Reply to
Mark Carver

Best ask in uk.tech.tv.sky or uk.tech.digital-tv.

Its not at all difficult to align a dish IMHO. Note some local landmark to get the horizontal direction right after the move and a spirit level to estimate how far off vertical the dish is. The services menus tell you how strong the signal is, but has an approx 5 second time delay.

joh

Reply to
John

No, you do need line of sight to the satellite.

Ideally, you also need to use a satellite receiver which shows signal quality you then just align the dish for maximum quality. The receiver must be set to look for an active transponder on the satellite

28.2E

If you have a spirit level with an adjustable buble, place it vertically across the front of the dish and use it to record the elevation prior to the move. You can then use the spirit level to set the elevation in the new position. Any way you can record the azimuth would also help. Do not twist the dish or the LNB. You should use satellite quality coax.

If the dish is pointing the wrong way you just won't get a picture. (well maybe the wrong satellite). Just keep trying until it works!

See

also news:alt.satellite.tv.europe

Remember that the STB stuffs about 20v down the Coax to drive the LNB. This is enough to give you an electric shock. You may also find that the cable screening and plug are also live when your TV and STB are switched on. Something you might notice if you are outside in damp conditions but would be unaware of indoors.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have always partially covered the LNB with tinfoil to achieve the same effect.

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Cheers to all for the advice.

Reply to
AlexW

By coincidence, Maplin mail shot me this week with a dish alignment kit offer for 20 quid, see here,

(or if that doesn't work -
through this very group a few months ago I learned that you can use the built in signal meter of the Digibox to achieve the same for free.

See this thread;

(or, via tinyurl -
Andy

Reply to