Best way to pass satellite cable into house

The house has a cable behind the detached garage that connects into the in-house cables. But my satellite dish is big and can't be placed near the garage (besides, that area is partially blocked by another house). I could use a long cable to connect the dish from its current location to the cable behind the garage. But for now I pass the dish cable into the house through the nearby window but the window can't be fully closed. What's your suggestion?

Reply to
Yong Huang

Drill a hole through the wall.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I took mine, when I had a big dish, through a vent into the crawl space then up through the floor behind the TV. Lacking a crawl space the same could be done with the attic, but the to the TV would be more complicated unless you don't mind a wire running down the wall.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Bust out the glasss with a brick just throw it through, or use a hammer, or gun, use cardboard an duk tape to seel her good, or drill a hole down low, or drill a hole and get an exterior mount jack plate, an interior one and seal the hole with foam, so here you have the hillbilly, hack, and proper way, pick what you like, or tape up yr windo and be done.

Reply to
ransley

Disregard Ransley, he is obviously having a worse than normal day. Make a whole in some part of the house to bring the cable inside. Be sure to use a drip loop to keep rain water from going into the hole. Caulk the hole so that air and water and criters do not come in with the cable. GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU.

Reply to
hrhofmann

ide quoted text -

re: "GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU."

He can't. All of his neighbor's are p*ssed at him 'cuz he's got this big, ugly satellite dish in his yard.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Fire a single .50 caliber round at the wall at the desired entry point.

Reply to
mkirsch1

ide quoted text -

Humor, you never heard of it I see.

Reply to
ransley

Jeff The Drunk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

What he said.

Reply to
Red Green

No, Ransley's ideas are great! Using the gun would be the most prudent method. One well placed bullet would provide the path to get the cable to several rooms at once. Just make sure someone is at the other end sighting you in...

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

(snip)

. GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU.

I keep seeing words to that effect on this group. What sort of time-warp

1950s neighborhoods do you all live in? I vaguely remember the neighborhood dads shooting the breeze in the alley of the late-1950s block we lived in, but haven't seen anything like that since. Based on some of the DIY horrors I've seen in the areas I've lived since then, they are the last people I would ask for advice.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If you have DISH NETWORK the extra receiver fees went up a LOT, as much as 17 bucks per extra receiver, 5 buck discount per receiver connected to phone line is no more.......

OP may not want dish anymore

Reply to
hallerb

Cut the cable in half, and the close the window.

Reply to
Oren

Lengthwise?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Thanks. I'll do that, or hire somebody do it.

For others, here's some news to entertain:

Installing Satellite TV Shoots, Kills Wife

Reply to
Snowy101

Also - there should be a ground block where the coax enters the house, and the ground block must connect to the house earthing system for the power service. And likely a ground wire from the dish to the house earthing system.

Reply to
bud--

Snowy101 wrote in news:fb198a63-eee6-41a4-a53b- snipped-for-privacy@m31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

From the inside, use a very small drill bit first to make sure you are not hitting a stud. Likely to hit stud if you are at a corner of the room, near an outlet, below the sides of a window, there's a stud(s) below the window and may or may not be in the middle.

If you have base molding, take note of nail heads where it was nailed into the stud.

Within a couple of inches of the floor you'll hit horizontal bottom plate of wall frame.

One side of original construction outlets are nailed into a stud.

You'll catch insulation with the drill bit. Hopefully no wires.

Reply to
Red Green

I found that the best way to drill a hole from the interior to the exterior is with a wire hanger.

Cut one end to a point with a set of diagonal cutters and chuck the other end into your drill.

With patience, you can drill through concrete block, wood framing, sheathing, siding, etc. Yes, you might get some "whipping" if the wire isn't straight enough, but it will go through eventually.

Depending on whether I am more concerned with the final location on the interior or exterior helps determine if I will drill from inside the house or from the outside.

After drilling through with the hanger, I remove it from the chuck but leave it in the wall. I go inside (or out), locate the other end and if I am satisfied with the location, I will then enlarge the hole as required. If I don't like the result, a little caulk will seal the hole and I can start over.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How about a piece of flat coaxial cable? Here's the first link I found:

Mark Lloyd