Tile Situation Advice

This is kind of related to the recent tile removal thread.

About a year ago my missus tiled the bathroom and put a couple of large tiles above the sink as a splashback. She has now decided that she does not like the appearance of these tiles and would like them removed and the area just painted.

They are stuck on with Unibond combined tile adhesive & grout and are attached to 1/2 inch plasterboard which has been skimmed.

I was wondering what the chances are of getting these off without ruining the underlying wall board too much?

The added complication is that the sink below the tiles was attached to the wall by a plumber with a no more nails fixation and an aversion to screws and plugs. The wall boards are fixed with drywall adhesive onto a random stone wall.

Thus I am a little nervous about removing the tiles as the sinks' stability may be compromised (as I don't know where the blobs of drywall adhesive are behind it).

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

Removing tiles from plasterboard without damage is ( I'm willing to be contradicted here ) nigh on impossibe, if the tiles are stuck on properly. Try a bolster chisel or suchlike but plan to make good the resulting plasterboard damage.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece