Wall tile adhesive as floor tile adhesive

I've got 5l of Unibond wall tile adhesive and only 4 or 5 wall tiles left to lay. On the other hand, I've got zero litres of floor tile adhesive and 80 *floor* tiles to lay. You can understand my predicament. Any observations?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sorry, that should be 25 litres of wall tile adhesive - and the floor tiles, like the wall tiles, are ceramic. Cheers.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And the floor tiles to be laid will be over the old original quarry tiles, if that makes any difference. Sigh....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Get on with it :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Saturday 05 October 2013 10:22 Cursitor Doom wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No.

Use proper powdered floor tile adhesive that you mix as you use. It's more painful but it will give the strongest longest lasting result.

I'm happy using wall tile readymix adhesive on walls. But floor tiles have much demanded of them, both mechanically (heavy weights, walking on) and water wise (washing down, damp in the floor etc).

It's hardly a big expense - scrimp and you will regret it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suppose in theory the usual lightweight wall tile adhesive won't take the same weight as a cement based product, and that may make it difficult to bed down firmly when you're laying the tiles. That's probably why there's no such thing as a lightweight bricklaying mortar. I can't imagine water resistance is an issue though. I've no doubt it would work just fine but it ain't my floor :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

On Saturday 05 October 2013 13:30 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tub/readymixed adhesive is not waterproof (although it may tolerate water in small doses) - that's one of the main issues. It is also not that hard setting. Can't beat a cement based product for this type of work :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

THanks. And what about grouting? Do you need a special type for floor tiles? I only ask 'cos I've got about 10kg of wall tile grout left over as well. Would be nice to use it up!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Are you spider man? You walk on your walls?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Saturday 05 October 2013 15:31 Cursitor Doom wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Is the grout powdered and does it mention floors?

If so, use it.

Do you really want the same coloured grout as on the walls - I made that mistake once - used a white grout in a bathroom. Even with sealing, and a relatively low-mud location it still goes grey/brown.

I wish I'd used a darker grout like the other floors - not a bit issue - only I notice it, but it's one of those "if I knew, I'd do it differently".

:-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

My albeit limited tests suggest that these ready mix microsphere products, whether they're labelled as plaster, filler, or adhesive, to be at least as waterproof as cement. IME they certainly work well as exterior fillers, regardless of what the label says.

Reply to
stuart noble