neighbours hideous satellite dish spoiling the view from our kitchen window

We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved in over the weekend. The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the house in a very obtrusive position. They are Polish so I presume it is to pick up Polish TV.
All the houses are the same design, 2 storey with a single storey section at the back which contains the kitchen. The kitchens have a chimney stack about 2 feet high to which they have attached a pole about 5 feet high with a fairly standard looking size satellite dish. They've then run serveral heavy duty cables along the roof and in through the kitchen window frame where they've drilled a hole. The satellite dish, pole and cables stand out even more starkly because they are all white and the tiles are black.
Bearing in mind that I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with these people what is the law in this area (which in fairness they may be totally unaware of) ?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Admittedly, it's not a good thing to have done and they could have shown more consideration for both their neighbours and their surroundings, but FFS, it's a satellite dish not a 14-foot wall. And according to your subject heading you can only see it from your kitchen window, not your living room. Live with it. If that's all you have to worry about in this present financial climate I'll gladly swap houses with you and I'll look at the satellite dish.

try and be friendly with them? ask them if they had considered a black dish to blend in with the tiles? or would they paint it black to blend in, could even get creative and paint it in a tile pattern to really hide it.
a long as the paint used is not a metalic, it'll be fine, and quite a few people paint their dishes to make them personal, tho usually big diasys or picaso colours to make them stand out.
If they tell you where to go, then it's time to see if the landlord has owt to say about the holes in the window, and if he knows about laws regarding the dishes on his house.
if all that fails, then it's time for a pin through the cables, bounce a football off it to knock it off line etc :)
John wrote:

Our neighbours have recently applied for permission to erect a 3.7m rear extension varying in height from 4m to 3m just 1m from our side boundary. It will block out the late afternoon sun from out dining room and kitchen and wreck our view in a semi-rural location. Because the land drops away a proposed window will look over the 6ft fence straight on to our whole garden. It will also have views into our currently unoverlooked kitchen and dining room. Planning office can see no problem with this but when pressed suggested they might apply a condition that the window in question is glazed with opaque glass. The neighbours have previously caused damage to our property for which they are unrepentant. We have put in an objection and will see what happens. I can see a mature laurel hedge suddenly appearing along that boundary.
Invisible Man wrote:

Was this an application before 1st October? Afterwards this may be regarded as permitted development, and I don't know how neighbour objections then work. Anyone know?
<http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315206517.html>
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

It is only 1m from the boundary with an eaves height of up to 4m so they would still need permission.
Invisible Man wrote:

Pyracantha is so much nastier..
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nice idea but I would have to cut our side.
Invisible Man wrote:

Thst what hedge trimmers are for.

When neighbors go starkers in the USA: San Anselmo woman guilty in attack on neighbor Gary Klien Article Launched: 10/08/2008 06:43:28 PM PDT
A San Anselmo woman charged with throwing a neighbor off his roof pleaded guilty Wednesday in a deal with prosecutors. Victoria Paige Billecci, 54, was arrested May 18 on suspicion of pushing David Nicholson off the roof of his neighboring apartment at 404 San Francisco Blvd. Sheriff's deputies said Nicholson, a contractor who stored his ladders and tools on his roof, was shoved off the roof after climbing up to investigate why Billecci was throwing his equipment to the ground.
Nicholson suffered two broken legs and two crushed ankles.
Prosecutors charged Billecci with attempted murder, felony assault with force likely to commit great bodily injury, infliction of great bodily injury and felony battery with serious bodily injury.
Billecci was scheduled to go on trial Friday, but on Wednesday she accepted a plea deal and admitted to battery with serious bodily injury. The other charges were dismissed.
Billecci faces up to four years in prison when she is sentenced Nov. 12 before Judge Paul Haakenson, said Deputy District Attorney Tom Brown.
Billecci is being held at the county jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Planning has got very lax now, but there used to be a '45 degree rule', where anything that you were proposing building, must be designed in such a way that it did not fall within a 45 degree 'fan' drawn from any window on an adjacent property. I had to comply with this, when I put in for planning on my conservatory, and it was all detailed how to make sure of this, on the planning guides that the local authority gave me. There also used to be strict rules on the volume of any extension, compared to the volume of the main house - especially if any extension work had already been done, which would have eaten into the 'free gratis' allowance - and I think it also depended on the type of house. Again, this is part of the reason that my conservatory needed planning permission, as all of my free allowance had been used up previously with a side extension. Probably not valid any more, but might be worth looking into.
Arfa
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Get an air rifle and a box of pellets, and start pecking at their downleads.
Or live with it.
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:16:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or buy some curtains

What view in a built up area can be so good you're whinging about a SD being in its way?

The view of the sky and some trees, even the chimney stack itself in old yellow stock bricks was easy on the eye.
I'm not against satellite dishes per se, I'm sure if I could afford it I'd probably have a sky dish myself. If the dish was tucked away neatly on the roof of the main building I wouldn't even notice it. Even if it was kept at the same level as the chimney stack and perhaps painted a neutral colour it would be more tolerable. The link <http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/ 1115315206517.html> does seem to imply it should be at the same level as the chimney stack so it probably is illegal in that respect. In answer to somebody elses question, it's only been fitted yesterday, Oct 13, and I'm sure planning permission hasn't been sought as the tenants only moved in the day before. I doubt the landlord has even been told.
On 14 Oct, 16:01, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yeh, not sure why they would put it up on a pole. Not the usual way of fixing a sat dish in this country. Maybe that's how they got their name ... Simon.
sm_jamieson wrote:

It's possible to buy nearly transparent dishes from places like satellitesuperstore.co.uk. When mounted against a wall they are much less obtrusive. Might be worth having a word with the neighbours about it. Why not share the cost and get a twin or quad LNB fitted so you can use it as well? That is if they are aimed at a satellite you want to watch! Even where I live, in a conservation area, satellites up to 1 metre are OK but you are supposed to put them below the eaves line where possible.
Peter Scott
In message
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Do they need it so high? Maybe they do to see over some nearby obstruction, but if they don't maybe yo could suggest that they put it lower down. There seems to be an idea that sat' dishes need to be high up, possibly an impression left over from terrestrial aerials often needing to be on chimneys,as the sat' is in orbit then the extra few feet is not going to make any difference and they work perfectly well at ground level, providing they can see the area of sky that they need to. A dish, large or not, on a chimney is going to put a lot of stress on the brickwork, wind loading, would you rather look at the dish or the chimney spread over the back garden.
Have you had a chat with them yet about it? Could well worth while.
Bill

It's actually fairly rare to have to put a satellite dish on any kind of pole, unless the view of the sky to the south, is badly obscured by buildings or trees from the position at which the dish is located. Unlike with a UHF TV aerial, where additional height may be required to cope with local or distant obstructions, this is not the case with satellite. In fact, it is preferred for the dish to have as rigid a mount as possible, as the beamwidth of the dish is extremely narrow, and for a stable signal, the last thing that you need is the dish flapping about.
Bear in mind also that even mesh mini dishes still represent a significant wind loading, and if it is on a pole 5 feet long, this will generate a significant turning moment at the attachment point to the chimney, under even moderate breeze conditions, so there could be a safety angle to consider here. I seem to recall reading something somewhere, that most (all?) local authorities have rules regarding the placement of satellite dishes, and that strictly speaking, many installations, including the 'normal' wall mount, actually breach these regulations.
Take a look at whether the dish would have a clear view of the sky in the direction it's pointing, from any other location on the house, and if so, you may have grounds for complaint on a safety angle, if nothing else. Look where other people have got their dishes installed. When doing this, bear in mind that it will be an 'offset' dish, which means that the viewing angle is governed by the reverse angle that the LNB arm forms to the face of the dish, such that the dish points almost forward in a normal installation.
Arfa

Contact the Landlord and see if they got his/her permission to put up the dish