neighbours hideous satellite dish spoiling the view from our kitchen window

We live in an Edwardian 3 bed semi-detached house in West London. The house we're attached to is owned by a landlord and new tenants moved in over the weekend. The first thing they did was fit a satellite dish at the rear of the house in a very obtrusive position. They are Polish so I presume it is to pick up Polish TV.

All the houses are the same design, 2 storey with a single storey section at the back which contains the kitchen. The kitchens have a chimney stack about 2 feet high to which they have attached a pole about 5 feet high with a fairly standard looking size satellite dish. They've then run serveral heavy duty cables along the roof and in through the kitchen window frame where they've drilled a hole. The satellite dish, pole and cables stand out even more starkly because they are all white and the tiles are black.

Bearing in mind that I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with these people what is the law in this area (which in fairness they may be totally unaware of) ?

Reply to
jgkgolf

Admittedly, it's not a good thing to have done and they could have shown more consideration for both their neighbours and their surroundings, but FFS, it's a satellite dish not a 14-foot wall. And according to your subject heading you can only see it from your kitchen window, not your living room. Live with it. If that's all you have to worry about in this present financial climate I'll gladly swap houses with you and I'll look at the satellite dish.

Reply to
John

try and be friendly with them? ask them if they had considered a black dish to blend in with the tiles? or would they paint it black to blend in, could even get creative and paint it in a tile pattern to really hide it.

a long as the paint used is not a metalic, it'll be fine, and quite a few people paint their dishes to make them personal, tho usually big diasys or picaso colours to make them stand out.

If they tell you where to go, then it's time to see if the landlord has owt to say about the holes in the window, and if he knows about laws regarding the dishes on his house.

if all that fails, then it's time for a pin through the cables, bounce a football off it to knock it off line etc :)

Reply to
gazz

Our neighbours have recently applied for permission to erect a 3.7m rear extension varying in height from 4m to 3m just 1m from our side boundary. It will block out the late afternoon sun from out dining room and kitchen and wreck our view in a semi-rural location. Because the land drops away a proposed window will look over the 6ft fence straight on to our whole garden. It will also have views into our currently unoverlooked kitchen and dining room. Planning office can see no problem with this but when pressed suggested they might apply a condition that the window in question is glazed with opaque glass. The neighbours have previously caused damage to our property for which they are unrepentant. We have put in an objection and will see what happens. I can see a mature laurel hedge suddenly appearing along that boundary.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Was this an application before 1st October? Afterwards this may be regarded as permitted development, and I don't know how neighbour objections then work. Anyone know?

Reply to
Adrian C

Get an air rifle and a box of pellets, and start pecking at their downleads.

Or live with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pyracantha is so much nastier..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What view in a built up area can be so good you're whinging about a SD being in its way?

Reply to
George

The view of the sky and some trees, even the chimney stack itself in old yellow stock bricks was easy on the eye.

I'm not against satellite dishes per se, I'm sure if I could afford it I'd probably have a sky dish myself. If the dish was tucked away neatly on the roof of the main building I wouldn't even notice it. Even if it was kept at the same level as the chimney stack and perhaps painted a neutral colour it would be more tolerable. The link does seem to imply it should be at the same level as the chimney stack so it probably is illegal in that respect. In answer to somebody elses question, it's only been fitted yesterday, Oct 13, and I'm sure planning permission hasn't been sought as the tenants only moved in the day before. I doubt the landlord has even been told.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Yeh, not sure why they would put it up on a pole. Not the usual way of fixing a sat dish in this country. Maybe that's how they got their name ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or buy some curtains

Reply to
pete

It is only 1m from the boundary with an eaves height of up to 4m so they would still need permission.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Nice idea but I would have to cut our side.

Reply to
Invisible Man

It's possible to buy nearly transparent dishes from places like satellitesuperstore.co.uk. When mounted against a wall they are much less obtrusive. Might be worth having a word with the neighbours about it. Why not share the cost and get a twin or quad LNB fitted so you can use it as well? That is if they are aimed at a satellite you want to watch! Even where I live, in a conservation area, satellites up to 1 metre are OK but you are supposed to put them below the eaves line where possible.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Thst what hedge trimmers are for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Contact the Landlord and see if they got his/her permission to put up the dish

Reply to
SJP

It's just amazing how the slightest question or gentlest suggestion to a neighbour can (and often is) taken as if it were a manic rant of uncontrollable rage!

Out neighbour has refused to discuss the "pruning" of her Ash tree. This tree is now easily > 60 feet tall and when in leaf, totally obscures the sunshine to our living room and back garden from about

15:00 onwards. It was not such a giant when I first asked if she could maybe have it cut back a little - 30 years ago. We also have the pleasure of raking up binloads of leaves from that tree each year. It's a fine tree - but far to close (~40 feet) to our house

AFAIK there is no right to a view. Although legend has it there is a right to light.

Reply to
dave

You can cut off any overhanging branches but you must offer them back. Unless there is a TPO, which there would be if it were near me.

Reply to
dennis

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Do they need it so high? Maybe they do to see over some nearby obstruction, but if they don't maybe yo could suggest that they put it lower down. There seems to be an idea that sat' dishes need to be high up, possibly an impression left over from terrestrial aerials often needing to be on chimneys,as the sat' is in orbit then the extra few feet is not going to make any difference and they work perfectly well at ground level, providing they can see the area of sky that they need to. A dish, large or not, on a chimney is going to put a lot of stress on the brickwork, wind loading, would you rather look at the dish or the chimney spread over the back garden.

Have you had a chat with them yet about it? Could well worth while.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm so glad that out neighbours are all quite intelligent and sensible to this sort of thing:)

Satellite dishes don't, as others have said, need to be up high unless they need to clear an obstruction. Most Polish channels and remember they have a right to see TV from their country under the human rights act is receivable on a 60 cm dish. We've got ours up a corner of the garden and their hidden away among some bushes and as along as they can see their little bit of the sky their quite happy:)..

Reply to
tony sayer