neighbours hideous satellite dish spoiling the view from our kitchen window

Planning has got very lax now, but there used to be a '45 degree rule', where anything that you were proposing building, must be designed in such a way that it did not fall within a 45 degree 'fan' drawn from any window on an adjacent property. I had to comply with this, when I put in for planning on my conservatory, and it was all detailed how to make sure of this, on the planning guides that the local authority gave me. There also used to be strict rules on the volume of any extension, compared to the volume of the main house - especially if any extension work had already been done, which would have eaten into the 'free gratis' allowance - and I think it also depended on the type of house. Again, this is part of the reason that my conservatory needed planning permission, as all of my free allowance had been used up previously with a side extension. Probably not valid any more, but might be worth looking into.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's actually fairly rare to have to put a satellite dish on any kind of pole, unless the view of the sky to the south, is badly obscured by buildings or trees from the position at which the dish is located. Unlike with a UHF TV aerial, where additional height may be required to cope with local or distant obstructions, this is not the case with satellite. In fact, it is preferred for the dish to have as rigid a mount as possible, as the beamwidth of the dish is extremely narrow, and for a stable signal, the last thing that you need is the dish flapping about.

Bear in mind also that even mesh mini dishes still represent a significant wind loading, and if it is on a pole 5 feet long, this will generate a significant turning moment at the attachment point to the chimney, under even moderate breeze conditions, so there could be a safety angle to consider here. I seem to recall reading something somewhere, that most (all?) local authorities have rules regarding the placement of satellite dishes, and that strictly speaking, many installations, including the 'normal' wall mount, actually breach these regulations.

Take a look at whether the dish would have a clear view of the sky in the direction it's pointing, from any other location on the house, and if so, you may have grounds for complaint on a safety angle, if nothing else. Look where other people have got their dishes installed. When doing this, bear in mind that it will be an 'offset' dish, which means that the viewing angle is governed by the reverse angle that the LNB arm forms to the face of the dish, such that the dish points almost forward in a normal installation.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

When you collect up those leaves, just put them back her side of the fence. If she queries this action, then politely tell her that you are just returning what's hers.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

AIUI

If you prune overhanging branches you have to offer them back but they do not have to accept them. (You can be prosecuted if the tree is subject to a TPO.)

There are no rights to claim back or return naturally falling items such as leaves.

Reply to
Invisible Man

You are joking, aren't you?

Reply to
mike

Didnt Thatcher make watching TV compulsory in 1984? ~ ~

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

No.. It is enshrined in that and or some EU directive somewhere a bit of goggling will find it..

Anyways it should not be anymore of a problem than Sky reception, its just another DTH sat after all and in sat terms Poland is local to Europe and if its Hotbird then thats quite a "bright" satellite..

Reply to
tony sayer

When neighbors go starkers in the USA: San Anselmo woman guilty in attack on neighbor Gary Klien Article Launched: 10/08/2008 06:43:28 PM PDT

A San Anselmo woman charged with throwing a neighbor off his roof pleaded guilty Wednesday in a deal with prosecutors. Victoria Paige Billecci, 54, was arrested May 18 on suspicion of pushing David Nicholson off the roof of his neighboring apartment at 404 San Francisco Blvd. Sheriff's deputies said Nicholson, a contractor who stored his ladders and tools on his roof, was shoved off the roof after climbing up to investigate why Billecci was throwing his equipment to the ground.

Nicholson suffered two broken legs and two crushed ankles.

Prosecutors charged Billecci with attempted murder, felony assault with force likely to commit great bodily injury, infliction of great bodily injury and felony battery with serious bodily injury.

Billecci was scheduled to go on trial Friday, but on Wednesday she accepted a plea deal and admitted to battery with serious bodily injury. The other charges were dismissed.

Billecci faces up to four years in prison when she is sentenced Nov. 12 before Judge Paul Haakenson, said Deputy District Attorney Tom Brown.

Billecci is being held at the county jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Reply to
Waldo Point

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember dave saying something like:

Copper nails.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Dies that really work?, and if so how many as I'm sure their bl**dy expensive;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

I have heard that the only way copper nails will work is to use one nail with a minimum diameter the same as that of the tree.

Invisible Man

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as it's oft-repeated on the 'net, but a bit of digging around brings up several who swear it does and several who say it doesn't.

Arborists in general abhor the idea of nails in trunks - quite rightly, as there's nothing more likely to piss you off than a nail wrecking your saw chain.

From what I can see, a single copper nail isn't nearly toxic enough and it would take a dozen or more around the trunk, as it seems the copper breakdown products would cause local tissue death so would interfere with moisture conduction that way - and possibly toxins being taken up tot the foliage. Lifting the bark, drilling a downward-sloping hole, and filling it with copper sulphate or diesel seems to be a way to go. Personally, I'd nip over the fence with a potato digger, and fill each of a half-dozen holes in the ground around the base with sodium chlorate. Or simply splosh a gallon of saturated solution of SC around the base.

I wouldn't expect to see quick results from any poisoning method; the copper nails method, if it works, will take a year or two by the looks of it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

I took down a couple of old Leylandii at my dads old house .. shower of sparks came out of the tree two of the bloody things had grown so close they looked like one and there was an angle iron support stake right between then so that the tree had grown around it!..../

A moonlight mission is called for then by the sound of it;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

This is my problem as well. The neighbour has grown a small tree (lleylandi?) close to my conservatory - a bit under 2 feet away and it is not possible to get into their garden. If I dig down on my side and put down sodium chlorate close to the roots will that work or will I have to tunnel under the fence?

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

In message , Roberts writes

This is getting a bit dodgy but if I had need to put chlorate, maybe in solution to somewhere that I couldn't quite get to then I may consider knocking a length of pipe, 15mm copper maybe, or similar, at an angle to get in amongst the roots. Then pour as much as I liked over a period of time down the pipe. Much easier than tunnelling.

Please let us know the outcome of any court case that may ensue.

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 05:22:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

Have you conversed with them about this yet?

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , David Hansen writes

I asked that a few days ago

"Have you had a chat with them yet about it? Could well worth while."

Didn't get a reply but would hope that he has done so by now, may save a lot of upset?

Reply to
Bill

Yes I did ask but nothing came of it. I did not expect much else - He is arrogant and she is stuck up. I am told that the law does not apply to a single leylandii tree.

Robbie>>

Reply to
Roberts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

Well thought, that man.

And for larger ones, a piece of black plastic downpipe discreetly worked along the surrounding foliage to the base, every night. Or a bit of black alkathene pipe held out over the ground by a black-painted pole.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon