Stealing satellite

I have a hypothetical friend. He has subscribed to both Dish Network and Direct TV in the past. He currently has the Dish Network network dish mounted on his house and is subscribed to cable. He also has a hypothetical friend that currently subscribes to Direct TV. He wonders out loud what would happen if he borrowed the extra box that is hardly used from his friend.

Are both disks the same. Would one box work with the other's dish? Would the box work if he climbed up on the house and changed the dish back to Direct TV?

Reply to
Sigmand

Since both providers have birds @ 119.0°W you can use the same dish and LNB provided they are legacy type and not 'dishpro twin'.

If you really want a fun hobby:

G. Morgan

direct and dish try to require constant phone line connection of all receivers, unplugged too long the provider can turn the box off. of course its theft of service, but you already know that.

if both locations have DSL you can slingbox the sat feed to the other location

Reply to
hallerb

I have had dish for years and have no phone connection. This is only needed if you want to purchase a PPV program.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

BUT if it is hooked up to a phone line it does call out and on some of the phone calls it provides the provider with the phone number that it is calling from. I wouldn't do it, It's stealing.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

The receiver won't work unless you pay your bill or deal with web sites like this.

When you stop paying your bill they do something to the receiver to turn it off.

I don't know if they still do it this way, but the receivers had a card in them. You could purchase a hacked card that would give you access until the sat company defeated them and you would have to get a new card. The other way to get this card was to get one that could be reprogrammed. I was once in a house that had a cable running from their receiver to a old computer that kept the card up to date.

Its explained a little bit here.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

sh? Would

why does anyone think its OK to steal satellite tv? would you steal your neighbors car? rip off stuff from the grocery store?

Reply to
hallerb

direct tv busts the sellers, and gives them a little off their jail sentence to provide a customer list. direct then sends bills for like

5 grand, and gives the thieves a couple months to pay or be charged for criminal activity.

do you want your name in the local paper as a thief?

this has occured.

Reply to
hallerb

dish? Would

If you steal your neighbors car he no longer has it.

If you tune in cable channels no one has lost anything tangible.

Cable companies call it stealing, but it is not the same thing.

Reply to
Terry

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

when a company mails a product to your house unsolicited,you are under no obligation to pay for it,you can keep it and use it as you wish,it's not "stealing". Broadcast RF signals are beamed across the entire country. They rent you the device to decode the signals that are already in your home.If you provide your own receiver/decoder.....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You can justify anything you want to. Electricity is delivered to your house. Why not just bypass the meter and use it. It's there, isn't it? Theft of service is just that. You are stealing something that doesn't belong to you and trying to justify it by saying it's there for the taking. Don't forget to teach your kids that theory. If this country needs more of something it's thieves and unethical people.

Reply to
Sanity

If you provide your own receiver/decoder... and don't pay the bill you are stealing their service.

Make up all the silly "logic" you want to claim otherwise, but every judge in the country will rule for them and order you to pay up.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Of course it isn't, despite the ridiculous claims otherwise. This includes claims from our business-controlled government.

Reply to
Sam E

IT IS NOT AT ALL THE SAME!! That use of electricity has a significant effect on the provider (increasing the load on their equipment). That's not at all comparable to reception of satellite signals, having only a negligible effect on the source.

Try thinking before you repeat that garbage.

And, of course, I said NOTHING of anything being right or wrong, but about defining something as "stealing" (don't you know other things can be wrong?).

I am responsible for what I say. However, I can not be responsible for others' demented imagination, including the serious misreading of the above.

Reply to
Sam E

Try explaining THAT without any nonsense. If you try to use "lost profits", what the **** was that company you don't pay doing with YUOR money?

"stealing" is a transaction between parties, without A's permission, in which A no longer has something and B now does. In the case of unauthorized reception of satellite TV, party 'B' not has the content. 'A' had it before AND STILL DOES exactly as before.

[snip with no comment]
Reply to
Sam E

So, an accurate description of reality is "silly"? That's the sort of thing that happens when people mindlessly repeat corporate bullshit.

Then, you try to enforce your bullshit through references to the justice system, essentially big bullies.

BTW, there is the slight possibility that your brain will start working someday. See you them.

Reply to
Gary H

I guess with your warped thinking you could justify murder (getting rid of scum to stop them from polluting).

Reply to
Sanity

The fact is that the courts will put you pronounce you "Guilty".

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Yeah its not like they have to pay for the satellites of the electricity to run the place or the programming or anything. It just sorta appears out of thin air and you availing yourself of the stuff for free doesn't really hurt anyone. Sorta like shoplifting in that someone has to pay for "negligible effect".

Might be a good idea.

You are stealing by any normal definition, except for those who are really trying to convince themselves of something.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In article , "SteveB" wrote: ]

But the author loses out on royalty if you bought the book. Since you took the time and effort to copy the book, you must want to keep a copy and that is theft (okay technically copyright violation..)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman