Satellite TV

The new house has a satellite dish. I've got a cheap DVB-S decoder from Ebay. It appears to work and identifies a satellite (Telecom 2 3.0 East) but its scan finds no channels. Where can I find what to try next?
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
Bernard Peek wrote:

Were the previous occupants Libyan?
http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-3.0E.php
You probably want to re-align the dish to 28.2 East, do-able with luck'n'judgement keeping an eye on signal strength/quality from the STB but easier with a cheap meter
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SatelliteTV/SatelliteCalculator.php
or
dishpointer.com
On 21/04/13 16:32, Andy Burns wrote:

An Imam from the mosque across the road.

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SatelliteTV/SatelliteCalculator.php

Thanks.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
Bernard Peek wrote:

Check everywhere for explosives, and also fumigate the place.
Bill
On Sunday 21 April 2013 21:15 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ahem: One of my mates is Libyan. He's a damn decent bloke - an Archaeologist in fact. And yes, he hated Gadaffi.

Tim Watts wrote:

Well, it's a fact of course that archaeologists are amongst humanity's finest...
. And yes, he hated Gadaffi.

What's his cooking smell like? Secondhand furniture from homes where food is very spicy can smell strange for ages.
Your friend is the unfortunate victim of the mad bombers. I had a friend (to be accurate he was a colleague of a friend and I sometimes gave both of them a lift from the Folk Club) who I call Tracki because I couldn't get my tongue round his real name. It is unfortunate that his personal appearance, age, sex, speech, and skin colour all agreed with the archetypal image of a mad bomber. And yes, when he was unexpectedly away from his Sheffield flat for several days the other residents panicked, and prevailed upon the management agent to go in and look for explosives! To his great credit Trac said he quite understood their concern, and I think that is central. The bombers have made innocent people like him suspects. He wrote a whimsical letter and put it on the notice board in the hall saying that when he arrived in Yorkshire he'd been told that everyone was really friendly, but no-one in the flats had ever spoken to him. He said that if they have 'they might have discovered that he was not Allah with horns and a forked tail' (Getting his religious mythology a bit mixed there I thought). Has also asked the hypothetical question, what would Mr Greatly have done if he'd found any bombs? He's back in Egypt now anyway.
Bill
On 22/04/13 01:15, Bill Wright wrote:

with the absolute exception of Tony Robinson.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

Point of information, and with no knowledge of the characters of Tony or archaeologists - he's a TV presenter and actor, not an archaeologist. He's probably picked up a good bit of knowledge over the years, but that doesn't make him one.
Andy
So about realigning this chaps dish then...
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message
No more likely to be dodgy food items.. grin. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message

I think that most of us are similarly uneasy about Muslims. Which is in most cases unfair, I would guess, but that's human nature.
We conveniently forget, if we ever knew, that 400 years ago this country was riven by religious warfare, Cathoilc v. Protestant, Cavaliers v. Roundheads, all that stuff I ignored when I was in school.
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
On 22/04/13 10:42, Windmill wrote:

We are more likely to be raided by the bomb squad than the previous owner was. I'm a known associate of people with explosives convictions and I've already been raided at dawn by the police looking for terrorists.
WPC: "Are you male or female?"
Me: {strokes beard, peers under bedclothes} "Male I think."
And I can't tell whether the house smells of strange foreign foods until the smell of the curry I cooked last night dissipates.

I take it you didn't go to school in either Northern Ireland or Scotland.
And in answer to Brian's question: thanks for asking, I think I now have the answers I need and can go ahead if I can borrow a ladder long enough to reach the dish. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to re-align it but it seems that's unavoidable.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:01:17 +0100, Bernard Peek wrote:

Assuming you want to receive UK programmes you need to point the dish further east to pick up the 28.2 E Astra group.
TOJ