Satellite TV problem

The satellite TV installer did a really SLOPPY job installing the system. He threaded one cable run through gutters and along the ground, and I want to replace it with either direct burial cable or a wireless alternative; that is, a transmitter receiver pair between the dish and this one particular TV. This TV has it's own box. They all have their own box.

What would the spec be, in terms of what type of bandwidth is required? I searched on-line but perhaps was using the wrong search term. What is it called? Could I use a video server which is used to convert analog video cameras over to IP and feed it into a Wireless DSL router?

Reply to
timO'

You need a _direct_ cable between the DBS receiver and the dish's LNB(s)

-- one without even one splice would be ideal but that is virtually impossible. The receiver feeds operating power and control signals in the dish direction and receives a very wideband (at least 500mHz IIRC) signal back from the dish. The receiver is able to switch remotely among the various feedhorns and polarities and bands available by manipulating the DC and AC voltages it feeds to the dish.

If the installer did a bad job, call the company and complain until they send someone out to make it right. There are installation standards which below which no company or installer should ever drop. Loose cable strung through gutters and trailed along the ground definitely would fall into the no-no category.

Reply to
John McGaw

Have the satelite co fix it free its a poor install, I dought wireless will get you a quality signal.

Reply to
ransley

Well it's not even my house, and the installation was done a few years ago. the cable run in question went bad, and I just laid some coax on the ground and reconnected the dish with that individual set. Now I'd like to either permanently install the wire or go wireless. thanks for the replies and suggestions

Reply to
timO'