Stealing satellite

"Sanity" wrote in news:Bmomj.73096$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

Satellite signals are beamed into my house regardless of whether I want them or not.That's a huge difference compared to connecting to a utility service.Those are only connnected when you request the service.

Today I read about a police officer making a comment about "public service homicide",about a gang member getting killed.

Of course,there's a difference between "murder" and killing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

As I said previously,they ALREADY are putting their satellite signal into my home;It's paid for regardless whether I rent one of their decoder boxes. My providing my own decoder does not increase their costs in any way.

It's no different than charging me for sunlight.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Sam E wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

there's a big difference between CABLE TV and SATELLITE TV.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

AKA misdemeanor murder.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

there's a big difference between -cable- and SATELLITE. One requires you string a cable to your home to get the signal,the other doesn't,the signal is there no matter what you do,whether you want it or not.

Satellite TV is no different than the power company charging for sunlight when you put in your own solar panels.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Of course it is. Sunlight is passive. You can enjoy it by merely going outside or even looking outside. But in order to get cable signals, you have to do something active. You have to get special equipment, you have to find away around the security systems (which alone should tell you something). About the only way the two are remotely the same is if you start getting cable signals through your braces.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I used to work installing direct TV satellite equipment, when a customer wants ppv or there is two boxes hooked up then the phone line is also connected. This is done also to monitor the presence of the second box so it cannot be loaned out to a neighbor.

Reply to
INSPECTOR via HomeKB.com

The biggest being one is what you want to get for free and other is something someone else wants to get for free.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That description is not accurate, nor is it reality. It

*is* silly though.

It isn't "corporate bullshit", it's the law.

Yeah, that is true. If they decide you're acting on your silly ideas, they put you in jail to let you contemplate reality. That's after they laugh at the above description when it is cited as a defense.

That's okay. Your's doesn't appear to have that possibility.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

What about sitting outside drive ins (they do still exist) and watching the movie. Is that stealing? Would it be stealing if you used a scaffold?

Reply to
Terry

Welcome to alt.home.repair where we offer home repair advice and try to guide the ethically challenged to a better way of life.

If the corporation that made the sun sent you a bill, I guess you wouldn't pay it?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Kurt Ullman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

UH,the discussion was about SATELLITE;no different than sunlight.

CABLE is a hard-wired system you have to CONNECT to.Like putting a tap on the water or electric mains.

So,if I install my own solar panels,the power company can charge me for the sunlight,because I had to do something "active" to get electricity from the sunlight?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Um... The satellite provider has to pay for much of the programming they provide, and also has to maintain the system. Those satellites don't come cheap.

If you have a job, I'm sure you expect to get paid for your work, don't you? If you employer decided that he didn't feel like paying you, would you have a problem with that? His argument for not paying you is that it's okay because you were there working anyway, so it's not like he's stealing from you or anything...

Reply to
salty

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

cable TV doesn't come into my house unless someone connects a cable,and supplies a decoder box.It's not OTA. SATELLITE signals come to my house regardless whether I want them or not.

a comparable analogy would be if the local TV station rents an antenna (and the digital converter)to watch their over-the-air(OTA) broadcast. Or I supply my own and watch it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If you get on a train without a ticket, I guess there is no crime because the train was going to your destination anyway, even if you were not on it?

Bwahahahahaha!

Reply to
salty

If you steal your neighbors car he no longer has it.

If you tune in cable channels no one has lost anything tangible.

Cable companies call it stealing, but it is not the same thing.

So, is that the same as going to a library, checking out a book, copying it, and returning the book. I mean, they have the book back, don't they?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You forgot to add ........... "without consciences to know what they are doing is wrong because that's what they saw their trailer trash parents doing." (NOT talking down to those who live in manufactured homes ......... I grew up in one ........... but to the trailer trash no matter how big a house they live in.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I wholeheartedly agree. It isn't stealing. It's just plain vanilla dishonest. Dishonest people can be dishonest and yet not steal. They just do a variety of other activities.

A man and woman are not married to each other. They check into a motel. The clerk asks, "Are you married", and they both answer yes at the same time. Are they being honest?

No. If they were honest, they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Beware of a man who says he's honest. He's likely to lie about other things.

Twain or Rogers

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Until they send you to the collections department, supposed run by some buy called Saint Peter. I've heard he can really be spiteful about past aggressions...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Different situation: You didn't BUY the software. You paid for the right to use the software under the conditions specified in the contract and sometimes those conditions specify you can't use the software on more than one computer. If you want to use the software under different terms, the company will probably be glad to accomodate you.

For example, enterprise editions of XP start at about $5,000.

Reply to
HeyBub