DIY qn: "he clad(ded)", "he has clad(ded)"?

Just a quick language question to do with cladding, for example the cladding of walls. I am not asking what is "correct". I am interested in what people actually say who do this kind of work or are familiar with it.

Do you say "he clad his wall" or "he cladded his wall"? And in the present perfect, do you say "he has clad" or "he has cladded"?

Personally I would prefer "clad" to "cladded" but possibly only just. I don't find "cladded" especially jarring.

Also does anyone know whether usage in the US differs from usage in Britain?

Thanks!

Reply to
Anon Line

I would use clad, however the Collins English Dictionary has:

Definition of 'cladded' cladded in British English adjective covered with cladding

But rarely used, and I feel the word is cumbersome.

Reply to
Fredxx

And since your usage is that of a verb, it should be clad anyway.

Reply to
Fredxx

Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid wrote in news:ubtj1t$1f2tq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The regular form in both slots would be "cladded". But I share your preference for "clad". Nothing wrong with a verb conjugating irregularly :-)

Reply to
Anon Line

Decidedly the latter. The other sounds soppy.

Same.

No idea.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

'Cladded' sounds plain daft. Even my spoll chicker objects to it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

If a wall did not have cladding I might choose to clad it. .

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news:ubtmls$1gcf6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sure, but if you did this to a wall yesterday what did you do? And once you'd done it, what had you done? :-)

Reply to
Anon Line

I would say I had clad it and I have clad it. I would also clad myself in fine clothes and the late 19th century warships were ironclad, not ironcladded.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Yesterday I clad it so that now it has cladding.

Reply to
John Rumm

I saw an American description of a house where they spoke about 'sidings', is that their name for cladding?

Reply to
The Other John

Nothing wrong with that. And once you had cladded it, it would be cladded.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Also future tense or conditional. Not the same thing as past tense.

Yes. Clad in iron.

Reply to
Tim Streater

cladding, n. "the house had bronze cladding" clad, v. "the house was clad in bronze" cladded, adj. "the bronze-cladded house"

According to the OED the first two also apply to the use of the word for clothing, but the last dates from 1939 and only refers to the building usage, which is a 20th century development.

The cite for the latter is:

1939 The resultant drop in strength of the cladded article is very small. Journal of Royal Aeronautical Society vol. 43 559

(I note there is also 'copper clad', being a type of PCB)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes.

Reply to
Davey

clad.

the convention is that the past tense of any verb that ends in 'd' elides the 'ed'

I bid for the car I fed the dog I hid the stash I wed the bitch

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cladded, is possible ass an adjective, but seldom as a verb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Clad" is normally a word associated with clothing or dress.

To be using it in other situations, the reader may be faced with the conflation of some "act of dressing", with whatever process might actually be used to apply that finish.

There are likely to be better words for usage in other areas.

"He nailed plywood over the mess and called it a day."

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Also, as I pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the act of covering a wooden warship in iron to create an ironclad ship.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Its clad, at least in the UK. Remember the USA invented the word Destinat to mean arrived at your destination. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff